View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 09:13 PM   #83
Ross F-1

Default Re: 40 V8 compression change all cylinders same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78CHEVELLE View Post

Today I took both heads off the engine and took all the valves out of the block. Here is what I see: #2 cylinder intake valve guide was stuck in the block when I tried to take it out. Surface sealing of the #2 intake valve against the seat was not uniform around the intake valve rim. Same deal on cylinder 3, 4, 7, and 8. Intake valve guides were stuck in the block, and surface sealing of the intake valve against the seat was not uniform around the intake valve rim. The exhaust valve guides were not stuck and the exhaust valve rims look like they were making an acceptable seal with the exhaust valve seat. I am going to clean up the valve seats and go with new stainless steel valves, new one piece guides, and new Mercury heavy duty valve springs. Looks to me like all this trouble and time lost is nothing more than a bad valve job on a low mileage rebuilt engine with less than 2000 miles since the rebuild. Odd the intake valves are the problem to me, and the compression decreased so quickly and uniformly on 6 of the 8 cylinders. What do you think?
I'd assume the stuck intake guides had seals on them, the exhausts did not? A pretty common situation.

It sounds like you're lucky 2 of the cylinders had compression, it does sound like a bad valve job.