View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 07:26 AM   #14
Jim/GA

Default Re: New Battery shut off switch, now ammeter is strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinlan View Post
It's a six volt system with an alternator. Truck has a negative ground and as you can see in the picture it corresponds with the chart that Mike V posted being between 3 and 4. I went with that configuration because it worked with the battery terminals/cables I already had. Would have preferred it going to ground instead. Accessories include turn signals which work very well.

Put a voltage meter on the battery and it registered six volts.

I just went out and turned the lights on with the engine off and the ammeter did register discharge.

During the install I did tap kind of hard on the battery terminals to try to seat them better (with a hammer).

What do the smallish red wire and black wire that I can see in the photo, under the big nut on the fuse holder, connect up to? What do they power?

If either of them is taking power, it will add to the charge that the ammeter is indicating is going to the battery. It's not really going to the battery, it's going to whatever is connected here.

Also a bad idea to tap down on battery cables. (I have done it myself. Very tempting.) Spread the cable ends out to allow them to slip fully over the post, then tighten up the nut/bolt to clamp them on.

Look for a slight short to ground somewhere in the fuse holder, battery cable and starter switch (or new cutoff switch) that is giving this big output from the alternator.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote