Thread: Battery cut off
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
Flathead Fever

Default Re: Battery cut off

My understanding is once you polarize a generator its stays polarized. Turning off a battery switch should not effect it. You usually only polarize a generator once on a new installation. The regulator is not polarized, the generator is.

It could be poor quality regulators. Do not buy "any" electronic parts from these big chain auto parts store except for Napa. The parts are junk!

I never understood the reason for installing a cutoff switch. No factory built car ever came with one. Nobody worries about putting one on there modern cars but they are worried about their vintage ones. Just make sure your wiring is good. That extra switch and cables just means more possible resistance spots that will drop your voltage. If your not going to use the car for a long time disconnect the battery. Otherwise it should be fine without a cutoff switch. If its hot rod and your not staying completely original. Every circuit except the starter should have a fuse. Then there is no reason to have a battery switch

Somebody is going to say they know somebody whose car burned to the ground because of an electrical short. I'm sure it happens but a well maintained vintage car with new wiring should not have any problems.

If the voltmeter is hooked to the battery connection on the regulator then it would be on all the time and kill the battery. It should be connected to voltage controlled by the ignition switch
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote