View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Sawn off steering shaft

I have a steering box from a '47 1/2 ton that has about 6" of shaft sticking out. I got it with a front frame section in a load of jailbar trucks and parts a few years back. I almost didn't haul that piece, but the owner said it was a really good steering box and I should take it. I have been reading about and testing steering boxes from a few parts trucks etc. The sawn off one really seems nice and tight. Folks I have contacted want 400.00 or so plus shipping both ways for a rebuild. Has anyone here ever mated something like this to their original shaft with a coupler or sleeve? Is it important to have the mast jacket intact? This 'driver/farm truck' won't be going to shows or judged for original. It just has a badly worn steering box. Thanks, GB
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote