View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: '35 Ford Coupe spare tire locked-no key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dip View Post
Thanks, however, I have never seen any spring loaded pins on these locking cap....I have a few extra ones.....collected over the years......and what holds the cap is three sliding bars, which opens when the back of the locking barrel turns......much like a balled cam and slides these bars inward.
Appreciate your input.....Robert
Robert, what you are calling "bars" I am calling "pins". I believe if you check the locking "bars" as you call them, they are spring loaded unless they are not working properly because of rust, or broken springs, or maybe for some other unknown reason. I know how these locking caps work as you have described. I have worked on '35 locking caps on my three cars and I have several extra locking caps that I have purchased over the years, and all have spring loaded bars or pins that allow the cap to lock into the center of the wire wheel. Check yours out more carefully, I think you will find they are also spring loaded.

PS........when you get that cap off, send me a PM and I can explain how to remove the lock cylinder from the cap. Sometimes, but not often, there will be numbers in a certain location that will allow a good locksmith, who has a code book, to cut a new key for that cylinder. Or he could remove the pins and re-key that cylinder to a key you already have.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-26-2011 at 01:27 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote