View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #1
oldforder

Default 30 coupe engine number

To start from the beginning, which will probably make this story to long, my neighbor lady told me her son in law had acquired a model A and was wondering if since I had one, if I would like to get it running for him. I told her I was no expert on them, but had learned a lot reading Ford Barn, so I would try. Well when he pulled it over to my place, I learned that it had been sitting for several years. 5 0r 6 he thought, but who knows. No battery in it, and no gas in it. He got a new 6 volt battery, and I installed it with the ground to positive. I was hoping it Haden't been converted to 12 volt. Put a few gallons of gas in it, and went to turn the gas on. NO Go. had to take out the shut off and free it up. Took off the carb, and cleaned it all up, and made sure all the jets and passages were open. Had no spark when cranking, so filed the points. Got good spark now, so tried to start it, and it started as if it had been running just a couple hours ago. A little adjusting on the carb, and it runs and sounds like a new one. It is a 30, but the dash, if that is the proper name for the chrome part with the speedometer etc. is in, is the same as my 29. I was pretty sure the dash in a 30 is the same as a 31. Or am I wrong?? Anyway, I thought I would check the engine number to see if maybe it was an early 30. The engine number is Star A 8*******. In my book I don't find any numbers like that. it is a reman block or what?
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote