View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #14
DHZIEMAN

Default Re: Gas tank leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
To DHZIEMAN

To me the repair looks like solder. The leak was on the upper joint of the bracket to the tank. Still holding tight after over 70 years.

The old time mechanics taught or showed me Model A repair and maintenance tricks I still do today. For example in the days before miracle adhesives, and torque wrenches, we used chassis grease as a sealant and "tighten firmly".
My dad who taught me, on gasket seating, always used wheel bearing or chassis grease to set the gaskets. The only ones that got sticky stuff were pan gaskets and valve cover gaskets And on some pan gaskets, held em in place with string ties! He had worked for Pabst Blue Ribbon in the 30's overhauling engines for trucks making the beer runs from Wisconsin to Chicago, and running empty barrels and bottles back to Wisconsin. He then moved on to Edward Hines lumber in Chicago in the 40's and did the same. He had another little trick to keep in mind, Eventually on vehicles with Babbit bearings, Ya run out of shims to take out. He told me, the best babbitt was closest to the metal it was bonded to! When he got down to no more shims, he would take the cap, and carefully file the cap a bit, and fit it to the bearing journal. Surprisingly, on his Model A and on my 48 Chevy, it worked like a champ!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote