View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #473
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
GB, you use a lot of varnish in your line of work. Is there a particular brand that your prefer?
I really like the old fashioned oil based marine spar varnish. I think that's because it stays quite flexible, and I really like the yellowing effect. I recently repaired a door on a beautiful plymouth woodie and it had been finished with 'Epiphanes' brand varnish, so I bought a quart. I think that may be the premier varnish for our wood wagons. As for me, I have always used McCloskeys 'Man o War' varnish. That's what our local hardware store carries. I have been trying to build a true truck woodie and not a show car, something a small shop would have built for a local business. That's why I went with the rather dull satin version of their varnish. Just less bling. As stated I have now succumbed to a bit more gloss with their semi-gloss. I always use a brush and I don't mind that the brush strokes can be seen.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote