View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #462
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Dang, it's been a long time since I posted (or worked ) on the wagon. We have had a long, dark and damp winter. My shop is not only unheated, but I hate working in there with the garage doors closed. I have done considerable mechanical work on my '47 tonner PU, but I seem to be able to do that type of work without heat. Precise woodwork seems to require some warmth. Well today we got to the mid 60s and I decided to tackle a nagging problem I have needed to attend to before ordering and installing the glass. On the driver's side I did not do a very good job of fairing in the top of the back door. I'm happy with the sweeping curve of the roofline, but the top of that door did not follow the curve. In these photos one can see that there is a step up of about 1/2" when the curve reaches that door. This afternoon after work, I pulled the door and took my Japanese pull-saw and sawed through the tenons, removing the top rail from the door. I replaced it with a piece of maple which I had milled to the proper curve. Hardest part was tennoning in the new piece. I used double biscuits with a star drive lag in the center, all bedded in my favorite polyurethane marine adhesive, 3M's 5200. Now that I have passed this stumbling block I can start the routing for the window channel. I have the channel here along with my new 3 1/4 hp router and I should have all patterns for glass by the weekend. It feels really great to be back to work and inspired to drive ahead. Here's how it looked before and I'll post new pics as I go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tail spot and latches 050.jpg (71.2 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg tail spot and latches 051.jpg (55.3 KB, 125 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)