View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Growley bear

Default Model A time machine

When I was twelve I became the proud owner of a 1930 Model A Ford four door sedan. Briggs/Murray?? no idea; I do remember that the body panels on either side of the rear window were seam filled with lead. That was my first car and I also had a very large stock of spare parts. This was one of only two Model A Fords in our town of Kodiak, Alaska. I never got it restored but what I learned working on that Model A was priceless. That car took a kid from the wrong side of the tracks, kept him broke and involved with a sense id direction, and out of trouble, mostly. I never got to drive that old car or hear it's engine run. When I was 18 I joined the Army and while I was away the Model A just mysteriously disappeared. I never forgot about my first car, nor will I ever.
Fast forward a few years; in 2010 I purchased a 1930 Rumble seat coupe, and for the next 2 1/2 years this was my steady job, mostly. I rebuilt it to be representative of a well maintained used car which I don't drive often enough but plan to drive more this year.
I have met many people over time with old cars who seem to have a sort of hum ho attitude toward their cars and what they represent. I on the other hand feel quite fortunate to have had the good fortune to finish my Model A to the point that I, when I am I am driving it, displaying it, talking to people about, that I at that moment in time am 13 years old all over again, so if I sound overly enthusiastic where Model A Fords are concerned, that is the reason.
I can't attach any monetary value to my Model A, nor do I want to. After all, what is blue book for a 1930 Ford Time Machine?
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote