View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 04:47 AM   #18
alan_d

Default Re: Reliability of early V8 vs the 4 cyl as pertains to the AA/BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
My thoughts: First, establish how much weight you plan to carry; second, what will be the length of your load; third, how fast do you want/need to travel.
Weight will always be more than you have, if you have a 1-1/2 ton truck, you'll have a 2-ton load to move...if you have a 2-ton, you'll have a 3-ton load...that's just the law of reality...

For all intents and purpose, I rarely even need 3000 lbs., but have moved loads in the 6,000 lb. range. I can use a trailer if needed.

Honestly, I move most things in my Tacoma, when I need to use the flatbed I need to move something heavy....cold be heavier than 1-1/2 ton.

Quote:
About the only reason for getting an antique truck is for the novelty of having something different. Which is fine, but if you just need to haul trees, it would be cheaper to find another 20 year old truck.
I'll be honest with you, I don't know why I like antiques. I was in the vintage guitar business for a number of years, but got out of it. I have always collected old stuff, I don't know why...and I'm a software engineer, yet most everything I collect is old mechanical machines, none of my machines have any computers hooked up to them.

You guys are actually making me realize something I've known for pretty much as long as I've owned my flatbed. A pickup is more practical, and I have said that many times...I think that is why the Express is attractive to people, because it's a much more practical truck that has a larger payload than the Model A Pickup.

I've been reading that most of the early V8 pickups will do 50-55mph and the late 30s and early 40s will do 60-65 is tuned. Some changed gears in the rear end, and stuff like that, but in general it seems that even the 1/2-ton V8 from 32-39 are capable of freeway speeds. This gets to the speed question you ask. I just want to be able to drive on the freeway at 55, even that will get people screaming and flipping you off, but at least you can't get arrested for going 55 if that is all your truck will do.

Quote:
Fuel mileage would be about the same, I would guess. With an AA or flathead V8, with a load on, it may not have enough power to pull high gear so you will be running at high RPM in third or underdrive. There goes your fuel mileage!
My current F-Super Duty gets about 10mph with no load, 9mph with 2,000 lb load and 8mph with 6,000 lbs....But I rarely use it. That would be the same with a AA or BB, but it won't do what my current flatbed does. I have cabinets for tools and a 60 gal. tank and pump I keep diesel in for my forklift.

Quote:
What about tires? An antique truck is likely to have antique tires as well! OK for parades, maybe, but not hauling loads. A 20 year old truck will likely have useable tires on it.
Good point also, BFGoodrich Commercial/ATs on my F-Super Duty, all 6 are almost new, great tires. Yeah, I would be stuck with the old ones on the AA or BB.

However, an Early V8 1/2-ton would probably be able to replace my daily driver. Wouldn't go as fast, but as long as it would go 55 I'm ok with that. Yeah, I want to drive something classic. I have an 911 Targa also, it's a fun car...it was my daily driver until about a year ago when I bought a Tacoma. My 911 is going up in value, worth over $30k nowadays...

Alan

Last edited by alan_d; 02-11-2018 at 04:52 AM.
alan_d is offline   Reply With Quote