View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 4x4 decendent of Model A ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
I do like how it has a Model A drive train though-or maybe a later version of a ford drive train?

Mike
Several years ago there was a home-made 4x4 Model-A tractor/doodlebug on eBay that someone had used a Jeep CJ steering knuckles and mounted onto the end of a Model-A axle housings where the unit had a rear axle mounted up front too. It was a very clean modification, and the CJ and Wagoneer use the same lug bolt pattern as a Model-A, so the Model-A wheel bolts right on. I also seem to recall that he used the Jeep Wagoneer transfer case behind a AA transmission too.

The thing that I have always wondered about with the Livingwood set-up is we know that the stock Ford rear axle actually pushes on the back of the transmission, -and one can assume the front differential and torque tube and "pulling" on the transfer case, but with typical bumps, chug holes, and stumps that the front end would encounter, that sure is placing a lot of stress on the flywheel housing, the clutch housing, and that transfer case.

I have enclosed some pics below of a Livingwood 4x4 set-up for a Model-T. Take close note of that first picture of how the spring perch and the radius rod end are installed to the housing. Kinda makes you wonder how that spring perch shaft goes all the way thru without rubbing on that axle shaft huh!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1180.jpg (96.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1185.jpg (89.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1181.jpg (80.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1184.jpg (61.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1182.jpg (83.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1183.jpg (73.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1177.jpg (106.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1178.jpg (107.5 KB, 76 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote