View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #1
SUHRsc

Default Undersized Kingpins .... NEW

Has anyone else run into suppliers selling undersized kingpins?

I am working on a '36 Sedan that is getting '37 spindles and Lincoln Brakes.

The Drake Kit that was brought to me "seemed" quality made...
I put the bushings in and reamed them to the correct factory size the same as I have always done.

I dropped the new kingpin in to test the fit and it was loose!!
I thought I somehow cut the size too large.... Nope!
The NEW kingpins measured in the neighborhood of .805 to .806... about .0050+ too small

So I called Bob Drake and was told all the others are the size that I measured and they've been selling them for years with no complaints... why didn't I measure first and make it match the pin....trying to explain that having a small kingpin in the axle wedged off to one side didn't seem like a viable solution to me... I finally got him to agree they were wrong but he didn't seem to care!.... I gave up and called Dennis Carpenter to have theirs measured... A much nicer employee at DC then at Drake told me theirs are right around .8 ".8 what".... ".8 is what I'm getting"..... then told me in metric its 2 and a hair, or something like that..... no micrometer in sight... but I learned the manufacturer and that they're from the good ol' USA! (that'll help them grow!)....

So I was pretty frustrated and talked to a friend who recommended the early ford store in California has good ones....

Does anyone else have any recommendations as to where to go for the CORRECT size kingpins?

To me this seems like a part that should be correct...am I wrong?

thank you for any insight anyone can offer.....

I don't mean this as a major negative overall against the companies that I talked to... I just expected a little bit better from them (.0050)

Edited... my mistake typing .050 instead of .005
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads

Last edited by SUHRsc; 09-02-2017 at 10:51 AM.
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote