View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 06:12 AM   #8
tubman

Default Re: 8BA clutch finger adjsutement

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
I would measure the clearance between the release bearing and the fingers.
Bruce
I would think that the relationship of the clutch finger to the flywheel surface would be more important than to the release bearing. All of the component parts (block, bell housing, transmission, and flywheel) have been in service with no problems for over 60 years with no problems. The only new components are the pressure plate and the disc. I would think the problem lies there. This is a new clutch assembly of unknown origin I picked up with a bunch of parts I got from a guy who was getting out of flatheads.

One more thing : Before measuring the bolted together assembly, I laid the pressure plate on the flywheel without the disc and measured the distance from the contact point on the finger to the pressure plate itself. The variation in heights was similar to the variations I got on the assembled unit.

There's all kinds of information on the internet about how to adjust tractor clutches and Model A's (where the adjusting mechanism is self-evident). I could find nothing about this kind of clutch.

Last edited by tubman; 08-26-2017 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Add more information.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote