View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #28
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Just Starting from the SoCal Desert

Bill,

You should narrow down what you really want. It is terrible to get into a project only to decide that you really wanted a different body style. Worse than deciding you painted the car the wrong color. Are you in a local club that holds events? The best place to go to decide (where they have one of everything) is the Model A Ford Pancake Breakfast in Orange County (unfortunately it is not until April). Someone else posted about a swap meet this weekend (Post #27), which I will probably attend if my modern car is not still in the shop. If I make it I will bring my camera and post anything that might interest you. You say a coupe or a sedan and the year doesn’t matter. To me there is a big difference in the years. My preference is the ’30-31 body/fender lines. The ’28-29’s have more of a Model T appearance with their bodylines and the ’30-31’s have smoother bodylines like a ‘32, which has even smoother lines. Having said that, some people prefer the ’28-’29 because they look more “antique”. You said sedan but didn’t specify the number of doors or windows. The ’28-’31 Tudor Sedans are all steel bodies. All of the ’28-’31 4 door sedans except the late ’31 (called the slant window because of the slant on the windshield) have a LOT OF WOOD. They are sort of a wood structure with sheet metal attached. If the wood needs to be replaced it can become VERY EXPENSIVE very quick. The best indication of a problem with the wood is the fit of the doors. The only 4-door sedan I would want is a ’31 slant window (the early ‘31’s had a straight window). The ’28-’31 coupes all have the same small amount of wood so that is not a deciding factor for a coupe. You might want to check out http://www.mafca.com/gallery.html

Be careful about cosmetic restorations, good paint and brightwork but unreliable/dangerous mechanicals.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 08-18-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote