View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #34
Kube

Default Re: Rare '40 convertible restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Since you had that tag on a coupe with a merc engine and a convert with a merc engine I wonder if the tag was a notification to the assembly personnel that there was an exception on this vehicle to be checked on a build sheet travelling with the car ie different engine? I haven't seen a tag like that on any other 40. I agree with you, we probably will never really know for sure. Thanks Mike. There is no doubt this convertible will be special. What color was it originally?
The tag on the coupe was unlike any I'd ever seen either. In fact the serial number on that car beginning with "PC" I'd never seen before (or since).
The tags I have seen on convertibles simply indicated body number. I have attached herein the tag from this car.
Another oddity I have noted is that this car and the one I knew of in New York both had "99" stamped in to the firewall, my coupe did not.
The "99" stamp would in my opinion be the "note" to the assembly line worker to install the Merc engine.
What do I know? Not much when it comes to these Merc powered Fords. it seems there was not much of a definitive method of production.

This car was built Lyon Blue and shall be once again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040012.jpg (37.6 KB, 296 views)