View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: INSERT ENGINE FROZE UP ! 31 Model A fordoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0B View Post
Engine was rebuilt in California the seller said has inserts and crankshaft with balancing weights etc. it WAS hard to crank by hand we thought it needed to break in but ran good now yesterday while driving it it froze solid .

Taking things apart today rods are ok , pistons move up and down ok with caps off , cam ok Starter ok , nothing in the pan , all looks good , We now suspect since it has inserts that the rear main bearing has "SPUN" .

Anyone have anything like this happen ? any helpful ideas ?

We are now getting ready to "pull" the engine .

Thanks everyone ! B0B
Hey Bob,
Sorry that you are having such problems with 'rebuilt' engine.
I almost bought the same type engine as you describe..'rebuilt in LA, Ca.
When I learned where is was 'rebuilt', I declined this great deal !
Do you know who was said to have done the work on your engine.
PM if you would like.

What I would do, if in you situation:
Now that you are digging into complete disassembly, I'd take all rods out and remove all main caps to look for obvious/visual problem. If no such obvious problem found, I'd start putting main caps on and tighten ONE at a time to recommended torque...then turn over crank after each cap is installed. Plastiguage each also as you go. If no seizing in this process, move on to doing likewise with each rod/cap. After every step, rotate engine few times. Somewhere in this process, the culprit will emerge.

Check piston to cylinder clearance and look for TOOO tight clearances and thereby cylinder scoring/damaged pistons/rings. JMO, good luck
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)