View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
160B

Default Door or Window crank handle removal 160A, B, C late 68B & 68C & others

I received the below PM from brianpharmd, and rather than send him an answer I thought I would post it as a new thread for others to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpharmd
Hello 160B,

I have a 31 S/W 160B as well. I need to remove the door panels for the front doors in order to get to the door latch mechanisms. Since your user name is 160B and you have posted on several S/W threads, I thought I would reach out to you with a couple of questions.

1. Do you have any tricks or special tools that are needed to remove the window and door handle on the inside of the car?
2. My driver side window has about 90 degrees of slop before it engages (either raising or lowering the window). Since I need to take off the driver side door panel what do I need to be looking for in order to fix this slop?

Thanks,

Brian
I can help with the door and window crank handle removal. Maybe some one else can answer the window regulator slop.

I made a tool out of hardwood that just fits over the door handle or window crank, see attached photo.

Sit in the car and put the hardwood over the handle or window crank and push the escutcheon plate back so you can remove the pin. The escutcheon plate holds the pin in place and you only have to push the escutcheon plate back the diameter of the pin, which is 1/8 inch. I have done it by myself with the door closed and sitting in the car, so you can put some force against the closed door. Also it helps to have a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the pin. Some times it drops out, some times it takes a gentle push and then grab it with the needle nose pliers.

Note that the handle has two holes 90 degree apart for the pin, so the pin could be in either hole.

If you had someone to help he could hold the door while you push on the hardwood tool and push the escutcheon plate.
see the below photos.

hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010507.jpg (41.0 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg P1010508.jpg (34.7 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg P1010512.jpg (58.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg P1010511.jpg (50.7 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg P1010506.jpg (46.1 KB, 113 views)

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?

Last edited by 160B; 02-16-2017 at 07:58 PM.
160B is offline   Reply With Quote