View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 08:16 PM   #18
oldwoodsman

Default Re: Overflowing fuel filler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Wayne,

Never thought of this before, i.e., that gasoline stored below ground further north could be at a lower temperature than gasoline stored underground further south.

Years ago, after hearing about the differences of "water" cooling residential A/C compressor coils as opposed to "air" cooling same with the additional cost of operating an electric fan motor, I remember measuring the water temperatures of water in the month of July, immediately drawn from two water wells, where one was further north, one was further south and they were about 200 miles apart.

In 200 miles, there was about a 20 degree rise in the well water further south.

Appears what this information may mean, depending on various locations, (even in mountainous regions with melting ice), is that this fuel overflowing possibly caused by expansion is more likely to occur where the ground temperature is cooler.
6ft summertime ground temps in northern MN are around 43* given an ambient air temp of 80* and a hot engine and radiator blowing 160* temps on a gas tank along with a hot sun beating on the tank, its no wonder the tank is making gas. I'm sure some engineer here can figure out the increase in volume of gas given the coefficient of volumetric expansion for gasoline. To hard for my tired old noodle.

Last edited by oldwoodsman; 02-13-2017 at 10:17 PM.
oldwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote