View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: T5 Transmission Conversion for Early Ford V8's

I think someone has done this with a Jeep tranny - made it fit the t-tube (HAMB thread I think - not sure of the year vehicle it might have been targeted for) but I'm not sure if the trans was a 5-speed or not.

The center of the "X" is indeed the real issue as the tailshaft of the T5 goes into this area along with a couple clearance issues if memory serves me (?). The "X"s are not really touched w/flattie-T5 combo. CE has a nice aftermarket setup for this piece and it bolts in but you have to destroy the stock center pieces to get it out (and leave the "X"s alone) so there's no "going back". Too bad there's no patterns to replicate the stock center pieces individually so modified 35-40 frames could go back to stock.

I have modified my share of frames for all types of motor and tranny combos and presently my 40 coupe and 40 p-up project are modified as is the K-member of my 32 frame (all for S10 5-speeds). But, none of these frames were in great shape and they all required repair of some kind either by me or a previous owner. If I ever owned a pristine frame however, I'm w/JM and I would never cut it. I did own one pristine frame that was bare and beautiful at one time - had it stored at a friends and it somehow had a MII installed in it for a hotrod - I nearly cried. That project has languished outside ever since (8 years or more?) and it's going no where fast!!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote