View Single Post
Old 11-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
30AAFord

Default '30 AA Will Not Start - Ideas Appreciated!!

I have a '30 AA that I've been resurrecting for the last 8 months and it will not start. It had sat outside for the better part of the last 15 years when I got it and I've been systematically going through it. I went to fire the engine for the first time this weekend and it will not start. I've been around Model As for over 40 years and own 5 of them - have not had a problem like this before and I'm stumped. What's been done:

1. All new ignition system - EVERYTHING new (ammeter, ignition switch, ignition cable, terminal box wiring, coil, coil wire, plugs, plug wires, starter cable, ground strap, rebuilt starter, rebuilt generator, cutout, modern style upper distributor plate)

2. Timing set using test light on breaker arm. Point gap set at .020, spark plugs gapped at .035. Good spark at plugs and coil wire

3. Good compression (don't have a gauge, but did the "thumb test and it passed)

After a day and a half of working at it, it still will not start. Lot of flooding - a LOT - but no fire. I swapped out intakes (suspecting a possible leak - when I pulled manifold off there was a TON of raw fuel in every port), no change. I swapped out carbs (tried two known good ones off running vehicles), no change. I swapped out plugs, no change. Rechecked timing, no change.

I'm getting some coughs and puffs (but only when I open the throttle all the way while cranking - choking really has no effect), some backfiring out of the carb and obviously a lot of flooding. Am now spinning her with a 12-volt while all my 6-volts recharge. Using fresh gas, but am thinking of trying a bypass tank to rule out anything contaminating the gas in the main tank.

I'm really at a loss of what to check next. Any and all ideas are much appreciated.
30AAFord is offline   Reply With Quote