View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #45
crazycasey

Default Re: Need help from the flathead gurus...? Valve clearance issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Is there a problem with your current springs? The lifter you use is not a big factor in the spring selection. It will be a little bit difficult to use adjustable lifters with your reground cam without some block modifications. It can be done, but a little hard to adjust. I think your NOS lifters is the best selection.

Spring pressure is established at a spring height and thus the shims. With Chevy valves the keeper grooves are futher from the head and require a lot more shiming.
I follow all of that, and I've seen on other posts where you can shim your way out of the spring register pretty quickly with the Chevy valve, often before the correct spring preload is achieved on something like a Zephyr spring.

Isky didn't give me a spring spec, they just tried to sell me a spring. I emailed Ron to see if he can give me some better information, but haven't heard back.

My stock springs are meant to be installed at a 2.130" seat height. I should actually be really close to this with the Chevy valve, but I haven't measured yet, and that's only going to give me between 40-45 lbs on the seat...not likely enough for the Isky 88 cam and ANY kind of rpm.

Anybody care to weigh in on my thought process here!?
crazycasey is offline   Reply With Quote