View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 06:49 AM   #50
oldandtired

Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Since I retired in 2010 I have sold a lot of the NOS and good used parts I accumulated, most being sold for my cost to people in the hobby. Some I gave away, some I made money on by selling them on the auction site, but there is no way that I ever made any money when you throw in all of the trips, all of the swap meets, the cost of the storage building, the cost of my shop, and on and on. I have some projects that are "done" except for putting them back together and one I would need a box that is otherwise "done" except for assembly. I even have the interior for a couple. I doubt that I will put any of them back together...Somewhere along the line I just lost my motivation. I never even put the 4-post lift together that has been sitting in the shop for several years. Maybe next year, maybe when it gets cooler, but these days it is taking naps, walking the dog, and taking my wife on trips.
I have no regrets about the hobby and I value the friends I have made over the years. I got some of my money back on the parts I bought and later sold. I still have the projects, and as the saying goes "they don't eat much and they are paid for." There are not many things you can do as a hobby where you get a bit of your money back and I was far better off travelling around other parts of the country looking for parts, going to swap meets and the like than I would have been drinking up my money in bars or any number of other things that come to mind.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote