View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 01:32 AM   #156
Old Henry

Default Re: Alaska attempt daily report

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony starr View Post
I might of missed this somewhere but do you mind me asking what transmission / rearend setup you have to be averaging speeds of 60-65 mph?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
It's all original stock stuff. Standard three on the tree and 3.78 rear end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Sooner View Post
Seems like the stock set-up works just fine.
The thing that I have learned from my experience is that the most important thing to feel comfortable driving constantly at high speeds with a flathead and stock rear end is to have the engine perfectly balanced. I've driven my car with the engine in three different states and it really makes a difference. When I first restarted the engine 9 years ago after it sat for 31 years, I drove it for 10,000 miles before having it rebuilt. I was afraid to go over 50 mph because the engine seemed like it might blow up. When I had it rebuilt, we found all of the original bearings were all split in two and other severe wear that caused that feeling. But, as far as I know, that rebuild did not balance anything, just rebuilt it. It certainly ran better than before and I felt fairly confident to cruise up to 60 or 65 mph. But, this last time I had it rebuilt, every moving part in the engine was zero balanced. Wow! That really made a difference. I can cruise at 65 to 70 or even 75 if I want to without any effort and the engine just purrs like it's not even trying.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-21-2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote