View Single Post
Old 04-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #50
Henry Floored

Default Re: Flathead breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
The Caddy's overall port layout is obviously quite different than a flathead ford. I spent about 120 hours porting one for our FlatCad Bonneville engine. Depending on the year block, there is a LOT more material to work with a much larger overall port areas can be achieved. Also, the exhaust design lets you get in and rework/port the entire port (as it comes out the top). For a blown engine, a lot can be achieve by the overall port size and volumes that can be achieved. We've never ran ours naturally aspirated - only blown and injected. On alcohol it makes about 650 HP at the crank (numerous dyno tests).
That's excellent B & S! That is a tremendous amount of power!

I hear you loud and clear about having lots of material to work with. We sure would like more of that in the Ford blocks that's for sure.

Early on in my Flathead porting days I used scratch my head as to the question why Ford went to the extra trouble of routing the exhaust ports through the block. Certainly the block casting was complex enough already, especially for its time.

Then I saw a few cutaway blocks and realized how beautifully sculpted and gently shaped they really were. Except for the couple areas that I mentioned earlier I came to the realization that the exhaust ports probably weren't the horsepower hurdle in the Flathead Ford.

Now in a combination such as the FlatCad where you are getting tons of airflow via the big ports and blower you need all the exhaust flow you can muster.

Some of the Flathead Ford dragster guys ran the extra ports out the top especially the center I'm sure because it helped with forced induction and nitro etc.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote