View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
Old Henry

Default Re: High Beams stick on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Since it seems that it only happens when it's raining, it's would seem that the problem exists where some thing can get wet. I'm unfamiliar where the high beam switch is on a 47, but if it's not in a location that it can get wet it's probably the wiring some where outside. Check the wires at the headlights, perhaps the water is making a bridge between the high and low terminals or the wires at the headlight or headlights, or even on the inner fender panel..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Cloth wound wiring, the cloth is not repelling water and when wet shorting between high beam wire and low beam wire. When dry it goes back to providing enough insulating properly to work correctly.
The switch is under the floor right in the splash pattern from the front left tire so I gets plenty of water when the road is wet.

I had concluded some time ago the same thing as JSeery - that wet cloth insulation was letting current leak between the wires. That's why I asked how to waterproof the switch and wiring in that splash pattern. The only problem with the theory is, if that's what's happening, why don't both filaments stay on all the time instead of just the bright circuit? If the bright circuit is powered from a short to the dim circuit, the dim circuit should, likewise, be powered by the bright circuit. That's a mystery. That must mean that the bright circuit is actually shorting to some other source than the dim circuit. Maybe it's nothing to do with the switch or the wires in that area. Maybe it's somewhere else that's getting wet and shorting. I'm just not sure where that would be since that switch area is the only wet spot on that circuit. I'll have to keep pondering on that.

Last edited by Old Henry; 04-14-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote