Thread: The Hamb
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #28
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: The Hamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
I'm 130 years old. I bought my 1929 Ford new. One week later l put a police head on it.

Should I go to the HAMB?
Personally, I don't care where you go!!

In all seriousness, where everyone seems to gets all 'twisted' is the intent. For me, the keyword is Restoration. Using the word "Purist" is generally done to antagonize or belittle someone. The term restoration means to return something to a former state. If I were restoring your car, using a Ford-authorized accessory such as the Police Head should be perfectly acceptable. Bolting on wheels with radial tires is NOT something that was originally done.

The thing that makes me shake my head is how hobbyist like to use the word 'Touring' to justify modern modifications. Three thoughts play into this;
1) -For years, ....and I mean decades, folks used the Model-A to go places. The word 'Touring' is what they often did. These cars were quite good at it which is why they have lasted so long yet now folks seem to think they must be modified to now be reliable.

2) -Something to think about is most hobbyists say they own a Model-A because it is a rememberence of an era, and they are trying to preserve that era for the future. A spin-off of that very mindset is the word Restoration. There was a time when a mechanic or machinist took an item that was worn or broken, and they used their skills to 'restore' that item back to a former state so it was "good as new". That era is quickly slipping away where most people no longer have the skills. We all would likely agree that very few reproduction parts for a Model-A are equal to what an original part that is truly restored is. Discussing topics that focus on how to restore rather than replace or substitute for modern is what will preserve the future of not only a Model-A, but the hobby as a whole.

3) -The final thing that has been a major catalyst for fires here is it was stated this forum was for discussing topics of Restoration. The so called 'Purists' really don't care if you own a modified Model-A, ...or whether it is a Street Rod, -or if you a collection of Hemi cars. No one ever condemned anyone for owning such, it's just that this forum was slated to discuss Restoration topics only. Think about it this way, certain folks do not like to read about politics here as it is not why they come to this forum. There are other forums to discuss that. The same mindset is played here, ...certain people come here to learn about Restoring Model-As --not modifying them as there are already other websites that cater to that mindset. Again, no one really condemned a hobbyist for owing a Model-A that was modified, ...it's just they did not want to discuss those topics here. That is the foundation why many of the knowledgable ones have left. Instead of ruffling feathers of peers, the timing may be right to initiate a forum somewhere else that caters to restoration topics, and happily co-exists with this forum and the Ahooga forum.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote