View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
JoeWay

Default Re: 7 tooth steering lubricant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron/IA View Post
Steve, Kurt, and Others - I recently was reading "TINY TIPS For Your Model A" published by MAFCA. On page 107 there is a tip about a grease sold by Ford and labeled "Steering Gear Grease." The author of the tip asked George DeAngelis for information/comfirmation about this. His reply was the grease was issued as p/n C3AZ19578-A in 1963 as ECR-405690, and reapproved in 1979.

Anyway, part of the spec sheet for the stuff was: "Grease used as a long life lubricant for steering gear housings, and expected to last the life of the vehicle."

I haven't tried looking, but I wonder if it is still available? - Ron/IA
I bought a couple of tubes of this grease several years ago from the Ford parts department, and loaded my two-tooth box with it during the rebuild. After about 1500 miles and a lot more reading about Model A steering boxes vs lubricant, I added 600w up to the fill port. After about one minute of back-and-forth at the steering wheel with the front end on jack stands, the steering was noticeably easier.

I think Kurt is right. I don't know if my steering is better with the mix than with oil alone, but I do know it's better with the mix than with grease alone, even if it is Ford's "Steering Gear" grease.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote