View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
johnh7

Default 1938 Pickup exterior door handles... help?

Does anyone know how the door latch mechanism works on a 38 Pickup? I am in the process of replacing the exterior door handles on my 38 Pickup. I removed the door handle on the passenger door. It seemed to be stuck after I removed the two screws on the outside so I twisted and pulled on it and it popped lose. I think something broke. I am not sure, but is there a small screw on the end of the shaft that held it in there?

My problem now is the new handle has shafts that are too long and the mechanism seems to be stuck to the use of the outside handle. The inside door handle still works the door mechanism and opens the door, but if I insert the old or new handle and try to open the door it seems to be locked in place. In addition, the old handle shaft won't go in all the way now. It sticks out about a quarter of an inch or so as if something is blocking it from going in. I can't really see inside to see what the problem is. Before I take the door apart I am wondering if someone knows what the issue is?

Regarding the new handle shafts, I am guessing I can cut them to length, but they are not shaped like the original. The shaft is of the same dimensions (except too long), but does not have the notch cut in it like the original. I am attaching pictures.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-07-18 19-04-56_resize.JPG (219.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-07-18 19-05-14_resize.JPG (221.2 KB, 25 views)

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote