Thread: Wits End
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #13
steammech50

Send a message via Yahoo to steammech50
Default Re: Wits End

Quote:
Originally Posted by steammech50 View Post
Last year had the engine rebuilt in my 31 Tudor. All was going well until at 1000 miles it started loseing water,pulled the head too replace the head gasket. Was then I saw vertical lines in #4 cylinder,when the piston was pulled found galling on back side like it had overheated.After measureing cylinder found it too be .005 over so we can't hone out the lines,have too rebore,now at + .080.Had engine rebored ,new pistons an rings,put it back in the car,ran well for 50 miles or so when it devoleped a noise in #4 again.Pulled pan thought mabey rod bearing was loose,found everything fine on bottom end,pulled the head saw same vertical lines in #4,was set up with .003 piston clearance this time ,when the piston was pulled have the same galling started on the piston again,was able too clean it up with scotchbrite,but may have too lightly hone cylinder.
Even though the engine was supposed too have been hot tanked it sure seems too be more heat on the back side of #4,so I guess my queston is what too do about it,is there some way I can clean out the water passage on the back of the block without harming the main bearings ?
Don't think it's a timeing issue as it was set using L.A's red book, water temps always ran 160-180,geting tired of pulling this engine out !
Pulled engine out early this week,dismantled same.Filled block with Evao-Rust,let set for three days,yesterday tried too run a choke cable on a drill through the water passegs ,all seemed fine except around the back of # 4 could not get around it,on the inside of the valve chamber the block sealer was discolered,sure sign of over heating,so in desperation I cut a hole in the water passage with a 1 .25 hole saw found corner blocked solid with rust,it took a small cold chisel too knock a hole through it,so now have it all cleaned out,have too J.B weld the plug back in an start over.Hated too cut a hole in block but didn't know what else too do !Going too take block back to the builder and hone too .004 clearance,and hope this cures the piston galling problem.
steammech50 is offline   Reply With Quote