View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #32
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Why Fiber Timing Gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL JENNY View Post
Many of you who are knowledgeable and have vast experience strongly advise using the metal timing gears. Dan's gears, especially a matched set has been well documented on this site as being some of the best. The problem that troubles many of us is that changing the crank gear is not a simple everyday event for the average Model A driver owner. Dan is not very encouraging when discussing only using his bronze gear with an existing, even new, crank gear. Pulling an engine is easier for some than others, and I guess until more people assure some of us that it won't be a terrible mistake to just install a quality metal timing gear, some will out of fear or confusion, keep on using the best fiber available.
It has pretty much been recommended to replace both gears when a fiber cam gear was used. Fiber gears are no guarantee of long life or quietness. As a matter of fact fiber timing gears have never lasted that long and have always been one of the worse pain in the azz repairs to have to perform on the model A. I would think it would be more important to replace both gears if a fiber cam gear was used Nearly thirty years ago I had a fiber cam gear fail on a Dodge power wagon that I had at the red light. I had to use the starter to get it out of the road. I don't want a fiber gear in anything of mine !!! I usually only replace both gears when the engine is out .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote