The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1932 Ford Chassis without the Reveal. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95884)

Lucky Mike 01-27-2013 08:58 PM

1932 Ford Chassis without the Reveal.

This 1932 Roadster was built in the early 80's. It has a 1932 title tied to the frame. The frame is right in every single aspect except it does not have the reveal. Does anyone have any idea why it would not have the reveal? One person told me that it may have been made in the UK or Germany and imported. Another person told me it was a truck frame. Another person said maybe it was an aftermarket frame, but I have confirmed it is not a Just A Hobby frame. It is absolutely correct in every way, just no reveal.

Lucky Mike 01-27-2013 08:59 PM

Re: 1932 Ford Chassis without the Reveal.

4 Attachment(s)
Pics

Bassman/NZ 01-27-2013 09:29 PM

It's aftermarket. I remember those frames from the 70s.

Lucky Mike 01-27-2013 09:38 PM

Thank you Bassman. I do have a title, but let's not go down that path just yet. Do recall the name of the company that you are thinking of? It is not a LoBeck / Just a Hobby frame. I confirmed that.

Bassman/NZ 01-28-2013 12:30 AM

Sorry, I just remember seeing adverts in rodding magazines.

sturgis39 01-28-2013 05:35 AM

This was posted on the HAMB. I told him to post it on the Ford Barn. The Hamb had along discussion and there were thoughts about pickup truck frames and first 32 Fords not having the reveal. I hope more people will respond to this question

Lucky Mike 01-28-2013 09:03 AM

Thank you Sturgis39.

jim1932 01-28-2013 09:30 AM

Ok for those of us who don't know, what is a reveal?

Randy in ca 01-28-2013 09:41 AM

I believe he's referring to the shape of the frame where the front fenders attach.

37 Coupe 01-28-2013 09:42 AM

The accentuated line or profile on the frame sides that made it a part of the bodystyle unlike the Model A Ford that covered up this part of the frame above running board. You cannot mistake the beautifull 1932 Ford frame.

Lucky Mike 01-28-2013 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The small lip on the bottom of the frame rail.

TJ 01-28-2013 09:53 AM

It is definitely not a Deuce Factory or TCI frame. Are they one piece rails or are they 3 piece rails? Look inside the rails and see if they if the top and bottom are welded to the side.

sturgis39 01-28-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Mike (Post 580199)

I posted the question on The Early Ford V8 Club of America. I actually posted the question in the general discussion and the 32 Ford discussion.

DavidG 01-28-2013 10:51 AM

Given that the cross members are bolted in and many bolt holes are missing, it's a real stretch to describe it as "right in every single aspect....". This is not an original '32 Ford frame.

jim1932 01-28-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Mike (Post 580199)

Thanks for the explanation.

Karl Wescott 01-28-2013 11:44 AM

This may also be a modified frame. Someones attempt to "clean up" what they considered detail clutter on an orignial frame. Looking at the side view there is a little of the reveal line showing near the rear. Many of the early hot rodders did not have today's quasi religious worship of the "original deuce" and would trick out the car by changing things like that.

As to a 60's repro frame... I doubt it, I don't think anyone would do it. Original 1932 frames were readily available used until the early 1970's and it was a MAJOR investment for Deuce Factory to make the first stamped side rails. Lobeck/Just a Hobby rails were fabricated, not stamped.

Fordors 01-28-2013 01:56 PM

A firm by the name of John Thompsons reproed '32 frames for the Allard Motor Car Co. when their supply of Deuce frames dried up in England. Similar, but not matching, they had no reveal, the crossmembers were different, the rear kick-up was higher, and the very front of the frame horns was square cut, not radiused like the '32. The front 'member was flanged both front and rear, kind of like a rear crossmember, the center was different and may not (don't know for sure) have had the K struts like original, and the rear had a deeper drop to it.
When I first saw Luckys frame I thought of the Allard but the frame horns on his frame have the radius. Next the Mike Martens frame came to mind, but his were done about forty years ago and I cannot recall if he put in the reveal or not. In any event it's not a Martens, as his were fabricated from three pieces and not stamped. Martens was in Mendota,IL and his stuff predated Just A Hobby which was started by Dave Gale. I think Martens got out when the Deuce Factory stampings came out, but while he was in business he did some Model 40 frames too.
Luckys photo seems to show rails that are not fabricated but stamped, other than that I don't know what they are. The mystery continues.

Lucky Mike 01-28-2013 02:04 PM

Thank you Fordors! Great info. I spoke to a gentlemen I met on the HAMB forum offline. He told me that he had a 1932 frame that he bought a few years back from a farmer that did not have the reveal. I asked again, it didn't have the reveal. He said no. He said I am a builder, I know frames and I had a 32 frame with the reveal and the one I got without the reveal sitting right next to each other and he said "they were exactly the same, except without the reveal". I spoke to another gentlemen that said he had heard the very first frames in non-US facilities did not have the reveal. As you said Fordors....."the mystery continues".

And yes, these are stamped.

Fordors 01-28-2013 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a scan of a page from Petersen Publishing's "Ford In The Thirties" published in 1976. The bottom of the page shows what the writer believed to be a Spanish prototype of a '32 Fordor. It is on a 112" wheelbase, has longer running boards, the European styled louver accents like a Model A, the hood side and the body extends deeper which hides much of the frame, and granted it is hard to tell for sure but there might not be a reveal there.
Other than this publication I have never seen, nor have I heard of any details surrounding this car. I show it to reinforce the statement that when it comes to Deuces no one knows for sure what was or wasn't. If something did not leave Engineering and see production it might have been spirited outside the company and hidden away. Ever hear of Warhoops, the scrap yard where GM sent their dream cars? The one's that were to be crushed but never were?
My gut feeling says the frame is a later repro, maybe someone will know who did rails like yours.

Mart 01-28-2013 03:34 PM

I'd be amazed if it were a Ford factory frame. Tell you what, take a real good close up picture of the factory ford stamped in frame number and it should be easy to judge if they are factory stamped or stamped by someone else after the event. The factory numbers are quite distinctive.

It is most likely a repro or a one off built by a skilled individual.

If you really think it is factory, show the number.

Mart.