The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   8 ba not running (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4138)

toddjg 06-05-2010 11:07 AM

8 ba not running

i took my 1950 ford for a spin and pushed it home. pulled top of carb off and there is no gas. car was running at idle for over an hour once i hit 3rd gear it stopped no gas in carb. what would cause it to not have fuel in carb at high rpm?

Mike in AZ 06-05-2010 11:10 AM

Re: 8 ba not running

does it run at idle again??...etc??..same symptoms?....probably not getting enuf gas into the carb...flex line leaking?...something blocking the pickup in tank?...Mike

Russ/40 06-05-2010 11:20 AM

Mike's nailed it

toddjg 06-05-2010 11:22 AM

yes it runs after i turn it over to get fuel in carb again. the carb runs out of gas after its run at 3rd gear but runs fine at idle.

toddjg 06-05-2010 01:01 PM

adjusted float larger fuel line had smaller copper line now it won't run after car bowl empties in like 5 min. it just stops with no fuel in bowl.

Bill in Al 06-05-2010 01:09 PM

Just went thru that myself. Rust in old fitting under the new tank. You've got a stoppage somewhere in the gas line or tank. That fitting was the only thing I had not replaced! KISS!! (especially in our old age) Good luck--Bill

oldskool 06-05-2010 01:14 PM

you could have a plugged gas line,disconnect the the line from the tank at the pump and blow air through it and try it , do you have a gas filter inline ?had the same problem and i had rust from the tank clogging the line up. i put an inline filter and change it often and it seems ok now...

36tbird 06-05-2010 05:38 PM

Check the vent on the fuel tank. If it is not venting properly, that can cause intermittent fuel starvation like you describe.

toddjg 06-05-2010 06:53 PM

it has to be something simple like that.

53ash 06-05-2010 07:24 PM

Blow air back through the fuel line, to tank, first and see if you got a clear line (take the cap off) You'll know if fuel can get to the pump. Then disconnect the line from pump to carb, and see if you get plenty of pumped fuel, then check the needle going into the bowl of carb, and final, the float could be sticking if nothing else pays off.

toddjg 06-05-2010 08:28 PM

now its not getting fuel at idle either i think it is dirt i had dropped tank out before and cleaned it i guess there must be some small bits of dirt that have collected.

toddjg 06-06-2010 09:24 AM

ok i just blew air from tank to fire wall line pump disconnected. fuel came up thru line.
i then hooked glass bowl up to pump and found a change from before. before air bubbles were coming in to bowl now no air bubbles at all i guess there was air in line or a clug that trapped air. so far its running at idle hope it drives that good.
anyone heard of this happening?

jdl 06-06-2010 09:54 AM

If you had air bubbles before that was the problem, maybe just air leaking from loose glass bowl? or around the tank fitting? glad you found the problem.

toddjg 06-06-2010 10:55 AM

its still finding air bubbles trying to track them down at least i'm on the right track.

jdl 06-06-2010 11:21 AM

make sure you have a gasket for the glass bowl, and get a new flex line if you haven't already done so. make sure all gas line fittings are in good shape and tight. also it is common for the surface where the glass bowl goes ( the bail area) to be warped.

toddjg 06-06-2010 12:02 PM

i think there might be a hole in the pump bladder. since i don't see where else there could be air getting in.

toddjg 06-06-2010 05:23 PM

ok line is clear from tank to pump put another pump in and still has air bubbles and quits running. car runs until carb is out of gas.
next i was going to run fuel line to pump from gas can to elimiate tank and fuel line.

53ash 06-06-2010 05:40 PM

Trace the fuel line all the way to the tank. Look at the fuel tank where the line goes in, and see if there is any rubber line spliced in (for a filter, etc) Rubber line anywhere in the system might have a crack or leak and could be sucking air. No worries, if that's the case. Just replace any old rubber line with new and good clamps. My friend's 50 Merc, had a crack/tear in a hose, at a barb fitting. Wasn't visably leaking fuel, but when the car fired up, it sucked in air and would run for crap.

toddjg 06-06-2010 06:00 PM

ok i got fuel line from pump to a jerry can in engine compartment. and so far no bubbles i guess i need new hard fuel lines and maybe tank or at least a clean tank.

Mike in AZ 06-06-2010 06:05 PM

do you have a flex line on the firewall before the fuel pump??....that may look fine, etc., but the new fuels make that line leak.....replace it first.....i think that's your problem....JMO....Mike