The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   oil pump gear (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338373)

Dirtslinger 05-06-2024 08:38 PM

oil pump gear

I've ran and broken in my 8ba on an engine stand, I have very good oil pressure but I've read that the oil pump gear can be installed backwards but still work for a period of time before one ends up with no oil pressure if installed incorrectly. How long would that take? Should I pull the cover and post a pic to confirm it is on correct before I install the engine in the car?

GB SISSON 05-07-2024 09:29 AM

Re: oil pump gear

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtslinger (Post 2309501)
I've ran and broken in my 8ba on an engine stand, I have very good oil pressure but I've read that the oil pump gear can be installed backwards but still work for a period of time before one ends up with no oil pressure if installed incorrectly. How long would that take? Should I pull the cover and post a pic to confirm it is on correct before I install the engine in the car?

Yes, check it since there is some doubt. It's very easy to check now and I would imagine it's impossible once in the vehicle. With the offset on that gear it is likely on correctly or it would have looked very strange with partial engagement of the teeth, but pull it anyways.

Automotive Stud 05-07-2024 09:29 AM

I had one installed backwards, it had zero oil pressure. I would say if you have oil pressure it's installed correctly.

GB SISSON 05-07-2024 10:05 AM

Or just an 1/8" strip on the edge of each gear is engaged, and you're on borrowed time. Easy to make a new gasket if required. And I guess of course you need to get behind the flywheel and that's a pain, but... I have one of those gears on my bench. I will look and see how it would act if backwards.

GB SISSON 05-07-2024 10:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a gear I rejected on my current build. With a tape measure I find the gear is about 7/16" across the teeth and so is the offset. But my block with ny good gear installed is 3' away, so it's easy to compare things as the cover isn't installed yet. If you have your gear backwards, (and now I can definately see if the cam wasn't in yet that would be easy to do), the two gears would just graze each other. But in my case, the cam gear protrudes past the outward face of the idler gear by 1/16". If your cam is like mine, your gears would mesh by 1/16" and you'd have that good oil pressure. But not for long.

petehoovie 05-07-2024 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 2309587)
Here's a gear I rejected on my current build. With a tape measure I find the gear is about 7/16" across the teeth and so is the offset. But my block with ny good gear installed is 3' away, so it's easy to compare things as the cover isn't installed yet. If you have your gear backwards, (and now I can definately see if the cam wasn't in yet that would be easy to do), the two gears would just graze each other. But in my case, the cam gear protrudes past the outward face of the idler gear by 1/16". If your cam is like mine, your gears would mesh by 1/16" and you'd have that good oil pressure. But not for long.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...2&d=1715096727

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...3&d=1715096762

Dirtslinger 05-07-2024 10:50 PM

Thanks GB! I'll get to it in the next few days and report back. I have one more question: While installing the motor in my 49 Tudor, should I attach the trans and install it together? And wheres the best location for bolts to attach the chain to? I took the motor out separately from the trans.

GB SISSON 05-08-2024 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtslinger (Post 2309701)
Thanks GB! I'll get to it in the next few days and report back. I have one more question: While installing the motor in my 49 Tudor, should I attach the trans and install it together? And wheres the best location for bolts to attach the chain to? I took the motor out separately from the trans.

Funny, I'm not the guy to answer that because I was gonna ask the same thing about my new engine with it's T-5. All at once or seperate? Of course the pick point for the chain will depend on that response.

Dirtslinger 05-08-2024 04:27 PM

Hey Im also installing a (mustang) t5 on the back of my 8ba, besides a cam its the only upgrade....

marko39 05-09-2024 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtslinger (Post 2309701)

i use a short piece of chain bolted to opposit corners of intake man., carb must be off. this way you can choose where to attach lift chain for different angles.