The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Don't be afraid of shipping -Deals exist!! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338135)

Newc 04-29-2024 08:03 PM

Don't be afraid of shipping -Deals exist!!

For me it is PirateShipping.com -a UPS contractor, pay them and print your own labels. NO cheating dimensions! Bicycle shops get a deal [UPS] Many large businesses are on a special rate. Even small businesses get a better than retail rate. I also have a delivery truck HUB nearby. so look around and enjoy internet SALES. Newc

Strick 04-29-2024 08:14 PM

Re: Don't be afraid of shipping -Deals exist!!

I'm looking to have a bare Flathead block shipped from Oregon to Georgia. Is this something they could handle?

GB SISSON 04-29-2024 08:36 PM

I had a diesel engine shipped from Texas to Washington. Yellow Freight quoted me 1600.00. I found 'weshipengines.com' who charged me 400.00 and it arrived in of all things, a UPS semi. They find an available space going your way from whoever will sell it. I like this internet thing. NewC is onto something.

Strick 04-29-2024 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 2307856)
I had a diesel engine shipped from Texas to Washington. Yellow Freight quoted me 1600.00. I found 'weshipengines.com' who charged me 400.00 and it arrived in of all things, a UPS semi. They find an available space going your way from whoever will sell it. I like this internet thing. NewC is onto something.

GB - when was that? Looks like website doesn’t exist?

GB SISSON 04-29-2024 10:11 PM

Probably six years. Seems there were quite a few shippers who specialized in engines and trans when I was looking. Not sure what to search. 'Shipping an engine?'

TagMan 04-29-2024 10:12 PM

I've found that I save around 40% over Priority Mail, in about ten transactions using PirateShip.com. Never had anybody problems.

tubman 04-29-2024 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TagMan (Post 2307873)
I've found that I save around 40% over Priority Mail, in about ten transactions using PirateShip.com. Never had anybody problems.

They may be good, but I consider their choice of their name to be kind of off putting.

Bored&Stroked 04-30-2024 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 2307877)
They may be good, but I consider their choice of their name to be kind of off putting.

Heck, maybe they should rename to "DamagedGoods" shipping . . . that could work better. :eek::eek::eek:

Model51 04-30-2024 06:59 AM

I used Fastenal for shipping a very large transmission coast-to-coast for around $300.
https://www.fastenal.com/fast/blue-lane-freight
There's no pickup or delivery, so you need a Fastenal store on both ends. They only ship pallets and only machinery and parts. So you need to securely palletize your shipment. They ship from store to store, on a space available basis, so it takes a while, but it worked for me.

Newc 04-30-2024 01:08 PM

Fastenal Coast to Coast ???? Over the Rockies ?? I didn't Know about that?? Newc

T Scott 04-30-2024 01:10 PM

Fastenal was not shipping coast to coast in either direction during Covid. That may have changed since but their service is hard to beat. The last engine I shipped they actually delivered to my work place since I had a loading dock.

Model51 05-01-2024 10:55 AM

My Fastenal shipment was from Oregon to Virginia, about 200 pounds. That was in 2020 so maybe things have changed. It was by far the lowest cost for me.

Strick 05-02-2024 08:04 PM

Just visited the Fastenal website and saw this:

"Fastenal does not currently offer shipping between East and West Zones as shown on below map."

Model51 05-03-2024 07:15 AM

Things change.
In July I'm bringing home a flathead truck radiator as my checked luggage on United from LAX to Dulles. I'll be in LA for a family trip. I will have to pay a small upcharge based on weight which I calculated at 65 pounds (it fits the size limits) but it's so much less than shipping another way. A trip to a home center to purchase a 4'x8' sheet of insulation foam to cut pieces to protect it and create a solid block, then a heavy layer of cardboard and lots of tape. Couldn't do this with a flathead block, but it's the kind of thing I do to keep the hobby juices flowing.