The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Block Restamp (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338043)

rfitzpatrick 04-27-2024 07:21 AM

Block Restamp

I need to re-stamp my engine block - I've found the kit. Looks like it might be a lit tight swinging a hammer -- would a rivet gun be more controllable?
Any suggestions plz
TKS

wrndln 04-27-2024 08:16 AM

Re: Block Restamp

The problem with a rivet gun is that it has many strokes when you pull the trigger. I think you would end up with a real mess with an illegible set of numbers. Just my opinion. I would use a 3 or 4 lb hammer and strike it ONCE very hard per number. You might need to remove the hood to get more room. If you use a magnet below the numbers, it would align the numbers quite well. If I were you I would practice on a casting that is no good before stamping the engine block.

Bob Bidonde 04-27-2024 08:19 AM

Use a ball peen hammer.

ronn 04-27-2024 09:14 AM

I agree with Bob

and dont align the numbers too straight...........
after all most were a little crooked.

rfitzpatrick 04-27-2024 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 2307190)
I agree with Bob

and dont align the numbers too straight...........
after all most were a little crooked.

I don't thing "too straight" is going to be my problem!! That's funny!
TKS

ronn 04-27-2024 12:35 PM

:)...................................

1crosscut 04-27-2024 02:52 PM

Don’t be a sissy… swing the hammer with an attitude.
Trying to re-stamp a number that is too light is not what you want to be doing.

JayJay 04-27-2024 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1crosscut (Post 2307263)
Don’t be a sissy… swing the hammer with an attitude.
Trying to re-stamp a number that is too light is not what you want to be doing.

Last time I did this I used a 3 lb hand sledge on an engine on its side in the engine stand, and gave it a single emphatic *whack*. Too light and you won't penetrate, then when you retry you will invariably create a double stamp that will look very suspicious. You might try putting a row of masking tape to serve as the left, bottom and right side of where you are stamping to try to keep them in line. Don't stamp through the tape, use it as your guide for straightness. If you are using the RestoStamps I found that the width of the area on the block is just about perfect for *A-------* with no extra spaces.

Ford stamped the blocks after they were painted.

CWPASADENA 04-29-2024 06:52 PM

I have done this several times with the engine in the car. I remove the left headlight and stand behind the bumper. Try a few practice swings with a 2-3 # short handle sledgehammer before you go for real. One sharp blow and that is it. A lightweight hammer will not do it. You have to swing way too hard and you have a very confined area to work with in.

My experience,

Chris W.

Charlie Stephens 04-29-2024 07:13 PM

Be very careful on this. If your vehicle is registered with your engine number that doesn't match your title and you change it you can get in a lot of trouble with the authorities.

Charlie Stephens