The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Oil Filter Canister Question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337851)

Shoebox 04-20-2024 11:46 AM

Oil Filter Canister Question

2 Attachment(s)
Looking over a couple canisters that I have, I noticed that some had a "spacer" at the bottom of the tube and a spring/washer on the cover, both are not removable. Looking at an NOS canister (got from Barnfind) and it has none of the above. I see that the bumps formed in the bottom of the nos canister are more pronounced, perhaps eliminating need for the spacer? A Wix filter fits in properly. Is this simply a production change thing? Just curious. Thanks

petehoovie 04-20-2024 12:04 PM

Re: Oil Filter Canister Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoebox (Post 2305830)
Looking over a couple canisters that I have, I noticed that some had a "spacer" at the bottom of the tube and a spring/washer on the cover, both are not removable. Looking at an NOS canister (got from Barnfind) and it has none of the above. I see that the bumps formed in the bottom of the nos canister are more pronounced, perhaps eliminating need for the spacer? A Wix filter fits in properly. Is this simply a production change thing? Just curious. Thanks

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...7&d=1713631551

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...8&d=1713631551

ford38v8 04-20-2024 12:09 PM

I would be cautious of the one without the spring. I haven't seen that type, but just a guess, but it may have been an earlier version that was later updated? I would think that the spring version would provide a wider compatibility with different filters.

J Franklin 04-20-2024 01:15 PM

You can always add a spring and spacer if you have any doubts.

Kens 36 04-20-2024 01:43 PM

I have never seen one without the spacer and spring on the several '50s I have owned.

Ken

aussie merc 04-20-2024 04:38 PM

these filters came from several sources both for factory and after market all did the same thing ,took the same filter.so some variations are out there

Shoebox 04-20-2024 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys for the responses. The label on the nos canister could explain the differences perhaps? I'd like to use this canister because the IN port is larger and I can fit the brass T pictured. I can run a sender for my dash oil gauge and have a sender for my electric gauge down on the block. I could also use the top w/spring from the other canister if there was a reason to. I appreciate any comments.

pistonbroke 04-20-2024 08:27 PM

Scott, did you know that's how and where mercury did their sending units in 53? I pretty sure I still ha the factory brass tee that came with the 53 merc We parted out to get my motor for my 41. Tim

petehoovie 04-20-2024 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoebox (Post 2305878)
Thanks guys for the responses. The label on the nos canister could explain the differences perhaps? I'd like to use this canister because the IN port is larger and I can fit the brass T pictured. I can run a sender for my dash oil gauge and have a sender for my electric gauge down on the block. I could also use the top w/spring from the other canister if there was a reason to. I appreciate any comments.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1713659568

Newc 04-20-2024 08:58 PM

Do we need filters? Modern oil, clean streets, frequent changes, limited miles per yr, and finally a pain to install/service. Newc

JayChicago 04-20-2024 11:31 PM

Don’t forget the restrictor needed to maintain oil pressure in the engine. .062 opening in a washer somewhere on the inlet side of filter.

pistonbroke 04-21-2024 08:25 AM

Jay, The original tee fitting I was referring to is drilled to something very close to that for that reason . Tim

rjlester 04-21-2024 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoebox (Post 2305878)

I have been looking for a duplicate sticker like the one on your filter. The Kralinator Ford of Canada sticker. Is anyone duplicating them? My 54 Meteor has one, and it was intact until I pressure washed the engine one day. :-(

Shoebox 04-22-2024 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjlester (Post 2306003)
I have been looking for a duplicate sticker like the one on your filter. The Kralinator Ford of Canada sticker. Is anyone duplicating them? My 54 Meteor has one, and it was intact until I pressure washed the engine one day. :-(

rjlester,
I'm not aware of anyone repoping them. I had never seen such a decal until I got this filter.

Shoebox 04-22-2024 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistonbroke (Post 2305883)
Scott, did you know that's how and where mercury did their sending units in 53? I pretty sure I still ha the factory brass tee that came with the 53 merc We parted out to get my motor for my 41. Tim

Tim, doe the nipple that goes into the canister have the restrictive .060 hole? Otherwise were would it be? The T that I have is not that small. Thanks.