The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model T (1909-1927) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Warford in the Way of Removing Hogshead. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335582)

Mountain Dew 02-08-2024 05:04 PM

Warford in the Way of Removing Hogshead.

I lost reverse on my 1914 runabout. I adjusted all I could but still no joy. Band replacement is in order. I have the Hogshead ready to come out but the Warford Transmission prevents me from getting it out. If I could drop the rear end and let it slide back about an inch I believe I could get the Hogshead out. Are the rear springs under tension? Do I need some type of spreader for the rear springs? I didn't see any for sale on the parts suppliers websites.

aaronfrazer 02-08-2024 08:28 PM

Re: Warford in the Way of Removing Hogshead.

You should be able to undo the two u-bolts that hold the springs in the frame and it should come out as a unit with the rear axle. If the warlord tower is in the way. Why not just take the top off the warford.

Mountain Dew 02-09-2024 11:53 AM

It's the front of the Warford transmission that is in the way. I wish it was the tower. The center bolt of the springs appears to bolt to the crossmember of the frame.

stevests 02-09-2024 12:23 PM

No - the square head bolt of the spring pack just locates the spring in the center - it's not or shouldn't be bolted.

rotorwrench 02-09-2024 04:48 PM

Just to add, there is a hole in the top of the cross member. It may be square or worn but it allows the spring clamp bolt to locate as was mentioned previously. This keeps the spring from shifting off center.

A person has to find a way to hold the frame with stands if no lift is available. This is the normal way to remove the rear axle for maintenance. A spring spreader can be used but it still requires cribbing the rear of the car up to support it for drive system movement. The rear radius rods are tricky to get around but the smaller model As & Ts aren't so heavy when the drive system is disconnected.

Mountain Dew 02-13-2024 05:35 PM

After studying it, I think i'll approach it from the front, lift the engine and slide it forward enough for the hogshead to clear the Warford.

Mountain Dew 02-28-2024 05:39 PM

I was able to move the engine forward with an engine hoist just enough to get the hogshead off without the shaft separating. I found a broken quick release band and another band that had broken ears. I found some bands on eBay and relined with kevlar. I got everything back together and I'm running it in and adjusting the bands. Mission accomplished.