The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Clutch Chatter (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334843)

whb52ford 01-16-2024 06:59 PM

Clutch Chatter

About 8 years ago I put in a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing. Recently the clutch chatter was getting really bad. I ordered a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing from C&G Ford. I put that in and no difference. The clutch and pressure plate that I took out did not look bad. I have an extra flywheel so I had it resurfaced and put in a new pilot bearing. Put that on and no difference. I was told to put my foot on the brake and let the clutch out to burn off any contaminents that was on the clutch. Have done that several times and no difference. I had about 3" of free play on the pedal so I re-adjusted the clutch so I have a bit more than 1" Still have the clutch chatter. I'm stumped. What can I try next?

38 coupe 01-16-2024 07:09 PM

Re: Clutch Chatter

I fought clutch chatter in my 53 until I installed a NOS clutch disk. The new one I had lacked the Marcel or had poor friction material, I'm not sure which. Getting an old one rebuilt for Ford back when asbestos was an acceptable material solved my problem.

tubman 01-16-2024 07:24 PM

How old are your motor mounts? The fronts especially have a habit of deteriorating from oil/grease/heat/age. That's what it was in my '51.

whb52ford 01-16-2024 08:15 PM

This was suggested by my local car buddies also. I believe they are the origional. However I put a jack under the oil pan and lifted up the engine and the car came with it so I would think they are ok. Saying that I ordered a set and will try that. Won't hurt anything replacing them.

tubman 01-16-2024 08:31 PM

It's not he "up and down" movement that you should worry about; it's "fore and aft".

If they really are original and we're talking about the car in your avatar, it's time for a change.

whb52ford 01-16-2024 08:47 PM

That is funny. I was not checking them the correct way. I'm hoping this is the fix. Thanks for explaning.

richard crow 01-16-2024 09:29 PM

today most clutches come from chana .what we do is send the clutch assembly to fort wayne. have them rebuild it i know that they sell the chana stuff so thats why i have them rebuild the one i send them. if it chatters send it back. years ago we would never use a rebuilt clutch in a ford we all ways installed a new one. today thats not posable i have herd a lot of bad press about fort wayne i have never had a problem with having them rebuild my clutch. does the clutch you took out have adj. fingers. if not get one that does i have four fords & not one has chatter

GB SISSON 01-16-2024 11:17 PM

Is there a favorite place to purchase new front motor mounts? Some of the reproduction parts I have bought over the years look and feel vastly inferior to the parts 'Henry' built. I also deal with chatter and want to address all the usual suspects.

Mickd 01-17-2024 12:02 AM

Put a Falcon 9 inch plate & pressure plate in mine. (Had to redrill the flywheel for the pressure plate).
Falcon spline was the same as Cusso spline -I THINK...

big job 01-17-2024 10:24 AM

Think about what Tubman said: Lets have a quiz. Why do Fords chatter and Chevys Buicks Pontiacs and others do not? Quote: Hugo Young (founder of Flxible Co.) once said problems always have a 'simple' solution....

richard crow 01-17-2024 11:55 AM

buick chevy with toque tube drive use a diaphragm clutch. cady olds pont plym dodge are open drive. some of them use a long clutch..back in the day fords were the worst mech systems. gm chry were much better cars mechanical they just did not have the look & speed. i know i hit a nerve but ask any one that lived & drove in 1930 to 1950. plus those fords were a lot harder to work on i worked in shops that would not even take them

whb52ford 01-24-2024 07:54 AM

I put on new motor mounts and it is better, but definately still there. I ordered a new transmission mount and hoping that this fixes it. I don't know what else to look at after this. Yes, its the car in the avitar.

51504bat 01-24-2024 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 2284296)
Is there a favorite place to purchase new front motor mounts? Some of the reproduction parts I have bought over the years look and feel vastly inferior to the parts 'Henry' built. I also deal with chatter and want to address all the usual suspects.

This is where I got mine:
https://www.roadstersupply.com/Flath.../rsc-42804.htm

https://cdn4.volusion.store/tqprk-sd...SC-42804-2.jpg

Nick Bernier 01-24-2024 05:10 PM

I too have a nagging chatter problem in my '40. Just to try, I order two new motor mounts. How hard should they be tightened down? I've never seen any comments on that.
Thanks,
Nick

whb52ford 01-24-2024 10:03 PM

I could not find motor mounts for my car there.

40ford 01-25-2024 06:36 PM

Fort Wayne Clutch-They have a cushion to help prevent this.I have one installed in a 1940 Ford and 1952 Ford Truck.Smooth with no problems.

Nick Bernier 01-25-2024 06:48 PM

Not sure what you mean by "cushion"?? Looked on their website, but didn't see anything about a cushion??
Thanks,
Nick

40ford 01-25-2024 06:50 PM

Here is just one of many topics discussed on this matter.
https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/pr...=18&Topic=8894
You may call them and discuss they may have discontinued this process.

51504bat 01-25-2024 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whb52ford (Post 2286225)

'32 to '48 only

tubman 01-25-2024 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whb52ford (Post 2286225)

For stuff like this, try Shoebox Central.