The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cutting a Ford Scrip Battery to remove the Optima Battery (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334145)

Old Redneck 12-25-2023 05:55 PM

Cutting a Ford Scrip Battery to remove the Optima Battery

I want to cut open a Ford case Battery to remove the Optima Battery. Any of you ever done this? If so how did you do it without destroying the case. The one I have bought is not worth a nickel. The Optima Battery in them is worthless.

52flthed 12-25-2023 07:22 PM

Re: Cutting a Ford Scrip Battery to remove the Optima Battery

Curious why you would want to do that? I have one and it works well. They're supposed to be really good batteries. What kind of trouble are you having with it? Do you want to use the case for something else?

ford38v8 12-25-2023 07:32 PM

That’s as bassackwards an operation I ever heard of. We cut open Ford Script acid batteries to put in Optima batteries, not the reverse.

tubman 12-25-2023 08:26 PM

Reading between the lines, I have to believe that he bought a well-used one that was beyond it's useful life. If that's not it, I dunno; I've had three and they have all lasted more than 10 years (OK, the current one is only 7 years old) and spun the engine over just fine.

expavr 12-25-2023 08:54 PM

Old redneck
See the attached thread: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ry+ford+script
I haven’t taken the time to attempt to replace the Optima in my Ford script case, so I can’t answer your question right now, but your thread has motivated me to get that battery out and see what can be done.
Les Williams

J Franklin 12-25-2023 11:49 PM

A dremel tool with a cutoff blade should do the job.

Old Redneck 12-26-2023 08:57 AM

All I want to do is to replace the Optima Battery that in the Ford Scrip case with a new Optima battery. They are dry cell Battery. Understand now.

Ken/Alabama 12-26-2023 11:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Redneck (Post 2279115)
I want to cut open a Ford case Battery to remove the Optima Battery. Any of you ever done this? If so how did you do it without destroying the case. The one I have bought is not worth a nickel. The Optima Battery in them is worthless.

I’ve done it twice. Go around the lid with a razor knife. The lid sits down inside the top perimeter of the case. Mine was sealed with RTV. You’ll also need to trim the plastic away from the lead post. They will be stuck to the top. I’ve replaced the optima battery in mine twice. The resealed the top with black RTV.

Model51 12-26-2023 12:45 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Attached is a write-up of what I did to create a Type 40 battery with an Optima inside which is not being reproduced. The optima is taller than the original Ford battery, so the resulting conversion is about 3/8" taller than the original but it still fits beneath the floorboard in my 1935 truck. Other Ford battery types are taller so the conversion can be a lot easier.

fordv8j 12-26-2023 06:52 PM

Been wondering the same thing, my Ford script with optima is getting old, will need to replace it soon, sounds pretty easy...thanks Redneck for asking, everything dies sometime

DavidG 12-27-2023 05:51 AM

I believe that Ken is inquiring about a dead Group 1 script battery from his '32. Those battery cases are too small to contain the 6 volt Optima battery.

Pat/Ohio 12-27-2023 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 2279361)
I believe that Ken is inquiring about a dead Group 1 script battery from his '32. Those battery cases are too small to contain the 6 volt Optima battery.

David, I believe that you are correct in that Ken is referring to his '32.

Just curious...How would you handle this situation? Replace the battery with a regular "tractor type" lead-acid battery, extend the battery tray a little to accept the taller battery or perhaps alter the floorboard a little. All of which would probably mean a point deduction or two (if detected).

I believe C & G Ford Parts in CA is offering the Optima style Ford script battery in their catalog and online. Takes 3 or 4 months for delivery.

Happy New Year!
Pat

Cecil/WV 12-27-2023 10:56 AM

I, too, like Ken, have a dead Optima in a Ford script case that needs a replacement installed.