The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1931 Model A. Timing gear inspection cover (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331884)

ddelproop 10-10-2023 12:01 PM

1931 Model A. Timing gear inspection cover

Hi,
Anyone experience issues removing the Timing Gear Inspection cover.

I removed the front facing bolts and two side facing bolts

But for some reason the timing cover will not lift off but can be pivoted to the side very little about 1/2 inch with holding it back.

I tried lifting, pivoting ect. The gasket on the sides of the cover is loose.

I figured it is stuck to the gasket at the base but there is so little movement it is as if it is bolted from underneath. I looked and did not see any fastener.

I looked at the manuals, online pics and even youtube videos and I can see no reason it would be secured further.

Before I try to really pry it off risking damaging something...am I missing something?

Thanks
DAN

Y-Blockhead 10-10-2023 12:24 PM

Re: 1931 Model A. Timing gear inspection cover

Never mind, thought you were asking about the front cover.

Tom Endy 10-10-2023 12:36 PM

There is a bolt hidden back inside a recess, make sure you remove it before trying to get the cover off.

Tom Endy

kenparker0703 10-10-2023 12:51 PM

Bolts from underneath, holding engine pan to side cover.

Charlie Stephens 10-10-2023 12:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Did you get the bolt on the bottom. Note the bolts is missing in the picture showing the cover installed. Click picture to enlarge.

Charlie Stephens

Charlie Stephens 10-10-2023 01:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Endy (Post 2261637)
There is a bolt hidden back inside a recess, make sure you remove it before trying to get the cover off.

Tom Endy

Tom,

Any chance you are thinking about the bolt in the timing gear cover? I can't find anything hidden inside a recess on the inspection cover.

Charlie Stephens

JayJay 10-10-2023 01:16 PM

If you have the two bolts through the front cover, the two bolts on the side, and the bolt through the pan, it should come off. Keep in mind that you have sealing surfaces to three different parts (pan, front cover and block) and some of those may be Permatexed on.

There is a lip around the pan that may obscure the bolt head, but be assured, it's there. Try looking with a mirror. It sounds to me like that's the one that is holding it on. See the third pic in post #5.

ddelproop 10-10-2023 01:22 PM

Thank All of you so much
I looked under the engine a few times but the placement of the drip pan would throw me off. The picture above was a big help!

And the bolt in question was mostly underneath the drip pan.

Once I remove the drip pan and the single bolt from underneath inspect cover fell right off

Thanks again
Dan

ddelproop 10-10-2023 01:37 PM

On a side note. The timing gear looks near perfect. Two teeth each have 1 mm chip on the edge of respective tooth on engine side. All teeth have otherwise perfect profile

Drip pan bolts/nuts were loose.

Dan