The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steering Support Bracket Question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331660)

Steves46 10-03-2023 06:31 PM

Steering Support Bracket Question

I have a 30 Coupe and although I have not had any issues with fuel leaks resulting from the steering support bracket riveted to the gas tank, I am thinking about getting the 1931 version that fastens to the dash rail. Does this mean I would need to remove the original bracket or would it be ok to use both brackets? Thanks.

ModelA29 10-03-2023 07:06 PM

Re: Steering Support Bracket Question

A friend installed one in his 28. He removed the bottom bracket from the original. He had to drill 1 hole if I remember correctly.

Ray in La Mesa 10-03-2023 07:39 PM

You can leave the gas tank 1/2 in, just don't use the lower 1/2, might ad MORE stress to the gas tank.

31a 10-03-2023 07:51 PM

Take the bolts out and remove the bottom bracket and go on down the road.

Gary WA 10-03-2023 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steves46 (Post 2260070)
I have a 30 Coupe and although I have not had any issues with fuel leaks resulting from the steering support bracket riveted to the gas tank, I am thinking about getting the 1931 version that fastens to the dash rail. Does this mean I would need to remove the original bracket or would it be ok to use both brackets? Thanks.

Installed one on my 30 CCPU removed lower section of bracket and it bolted up with no extra hole drilling to dash area. Don't use both!

Steves46 10-03-2023 09:01 PM

Thanks all.

Chris Haynes 10-03-2023 09:47 PM

simply leave the rubber gasket out of the lower.

Dino's A 10-04-2023 05:59 AM

Best thing I ever did in a long time. When I was done with my install,
I watched as I pulled on the wheel to see if the new bracket totally
kept the steering column from touching the old half of the riveted bracket.

Nope, no touch. Like some already said, remove the lower half & rubber from
that and the upper, and it should be good. You will reuse the lower piece on the new bracket of course. Now when you climb in there, your not worried about those 80 year old rivets causing a leak down the road. The bracket comes a little rough, so I polished it smooth. Painted it the color of the dash so it blends right in.

Kurt in NJ 10-04-2023 06:12 AM

50 years ago when I restored my car it came with leakage stains at the bracket, it got resoldered, still no leaks.

Steves46 10-04-2023 06:36 AM

So I can use the original lower section half on the new bracket? That would be good and save a few dollars.

Bob Bidonde 10-04-2023 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the bracket change in my Victoria. I left the old bracket on the tank in place.

Gary WA 10-04-2023 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steves46 (Post 2260070)

I did remove lower bkt after install of new one. And i might have had to drill one hole been a long time. easy install tho.

J Franklin 10-04-2023 10:38 AM

A good topic and a good reminder not to use the steering wheel to help you into the front seat. I use the windshield knob if I need a boost.