The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   12volt conversion Protronix and lower fan pulley (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327489)

will.rynerson 06-08-2023 07:53 PM

12volt conversion Protronix and lower fan pulley

Hi folks,

Well, I got my Protronix distributor in today and it won’t fit with the outer lower fan pulley, is anybody solve this problem?

flatjack9 06-08-2023 07:59 PM

Re: 12volt conversion Protronix and lower fan pulley

Get rid of the Pertronics

1948F-1Pickup 06-08-2023 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatjack9 (Post 2232047)
Get rid of the Pertronics

Like it !!!!

Not a fan of their stuff. Wasn’t a fan when their US-made stuff
died on me (more than once) in the 80’s when they were Perlux.
Undoubtedly, they’re probably even cheaper these days, so even
worse in reliability.

50fordcoupeman 06-08-2023 10:39 PM

Hey guys that's not what he asked or wanted to hear!! I have three vehicles with Pertronix and they have all operated perfectly. I went to that unit because I had NEW points that literally came apart and left me stranded. Sorry Will............

38bill 06-09-2023 09:30 AM

Could use more details like is it the crab style? They appear to be really tall. A photo would also help.

deuce_roadster 06-09-2023 09:57 AM

Are you running a generator? Electronic distributors don't like the voltage variations the output of a generator makes. I have never seen NOS points fail in the way you describe.

tubman 06-09-2023 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman (Post 2232066)
Hey guys that's not what he asked or wanted to hear!! I have three vehicles with Pertronix and they have all operated perfectly. I went to that unit because I had NEW points that literally came apart and left me stranded. Sorry Will............

I think folks come here because of the reputation this site has for experienced members and solid advice. The last thing we should be doing is reinforcing bad ideas.

wga 06-10-2023 09:26 AM

Ran a Pertronix for a few years, used their coil and wires as well. No problems.
Condensers failed that left me stranded in the Santa Cruz mountains.

will.rynerson 06-10-2023 09:41 AM

Sweet

Tim Ayers 06-10-2023 09:43 AM

Need more info. Petronix module in a stock dizzy should work without issue. What set up are you using?

will.rynerson 06-10-2023 09:49 AM

Hi guys, NEW Question and thank you for all your input. I do appreciate it and I don’t get offended at whether I should do one thing or the other I’ve seen people using different set ups. I did get the pulley off and the distributor on.

When I’m sliding the pulley back in. On the keyway it only goes part way. It’s not hitting the Distributor. The pulley is actually hitting something within the channel that is preventing me from sliding it all the way back, do I need to put the truck in neutral and try turning it in order to get the collar to slide all the way back? I’m not sure what the procedure is to putting that pulley back on..

flatjack9 06-10-2023 10:25 AM

There should be a key in the crankshaft and a slot in the pulley that need to align.

Tim Ayers 06-10-2023 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 2232148)
I think folks come here because of the reputation this site has for experienced members and solid advice. The last thing we should be doing is reinforcing bad ideas.

What bad ideas are you referring to, Tubman? The use an electronic dizzy or module or using newly made points?

will.rynerson 06-10-2023 10:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
That’s right, it goes on the key way but it won’t go on enough to catch a thread.
I included the previous picture before changing out the distributor. And the current look with the keyway.

petehoovie 06-10-2023 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will.rynerson (Post 2232374)
That’s right, it goes on the key way but it won’t go on enough to catch a thread.
I included the previous picture before changing out the distributor. And the current look with the keyway.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1686412207

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...9&d=1686411485

tubman 06-10-2023 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 2232372)
What bad ideas are you referring to, Tubman? The use an electronic dizzy or module or using newly made points?

Mine was just a general comment on the use and value of this forum. I don't think this thread is the proper place to get into a debate on specifics.

Let's just help him get his pulley back on.:)

will.rynerson 06-10-2023 11:17 AM

Thank you, I agree. Just looking for some help.

will.rynerson 06-10-2023 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK guys, I needed a pulley insert tool and that just cranked it right on O’Reillys that your rent them for free.

Next question for those who have done the conversion. My distributor sticks out a little bit over the fan pulley, see the picture, what did you do to overcome this obstacle?

I’m gonna try a longer fan belt because the fan pulley lays right on top of my coil plug.

petehoovie 06-10-2023 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will.rynerson (Post 2232431)
OK guys, I needed a pulley insert tool and that just cranked it right on O’Reillys that your rent them for free.

Next question for those who have done the conversion. My distributor sticks out a little bit over the fan pulley, see the picture, what did you do to overcome this obstacle?

I’m gonna try a longer fan belt because the fan pulley lays right on top of my coil plug.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...2&d=1686431045

Tim Ayers 06-10-2023 05:40 PM

Regarding the pulley: Is the woodruff key loose in the slot on the crank? If so, sometimes they move around a bit which prevents the pulley from seating fulling. If not, look at the female slot on the pulley to see if there is any damage, etc that is preventing it from seating.

Not sure if you tried this, but I would take off the distributor while working on the pulley so you can see clearly what is going on.

Regarding the distributor: This looks like the one you got.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1942-...BoCggcQAvD_BwE

It is absolutely longer and larger than a stock unit. Petronix makes a module that fits inside a stock crab distributor. Using their module inside a stock crab distributor housing will cure your pulley clearance issue.