The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Replacement throttle shaft (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322998)

LEM 02-02-2023 12:01 AM

Replacement throttle shaft

How do you attach the throttle arm to a new replacement throttle shaft? Looks like they’re peened over but how do you do it without destroying the shaft?

Robert/Texas 02-02-2023 06:31 AM

Re: Replacement throttle shaft

The ends are spring loaded. I grab the rods and the shafts with pliers and pull on the ends to remove them. It is possible that someone has buggered the ends so much that this won't work.

katy 02-02-2023 10:55 AM

Bratton's online catalogue shows the arm already attached to the shaft.
https://www.brattons.com/searchprods.asp

ryanheacox 02-02-2023 02:52 PM

Probably the best way is to make a jig to hold the throttle shaft while you peen the arm. I suppose you could also assemble it into the carb and use that as the jig.

mcgarrett 02-02-2023 03:40 PM

Peening the arm on the new shaft without distorting the shaft itself where the slot is can be difficult if it's not supported somehow. Perhaps installing it into the carb and attaching the throttle plate would give it the needed support to prevent it from bending out of shape while it is being peened.

Bob C 02-02-2023 04:14 PM

Maybe drill out a nut to the size of the shaft then cut the nut in half, use the two pieces
to clamp the shaft in a vise.

Synchro909 02-02-2023 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 2201422)
Maybe drill out a nut to the size of the shaft then cut the nut in half, use the two pieces

Good idea but IMO, there is no need to cut it in half. Cutting a slot in it (cut it half way through) would work just as well and make it easier to set up in the vice.

Y-Blockhead 02-02-2023 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 2201422)

I like it!! Maybe even use a coupling nut for more surface.

Joe K 02-03-2023 09:25 AM

Or buy the completed assembly to get away from any shaft wear?

Joe K

Bob C 02-03-2023 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 2201423)
Good idea but IMO, there is no need to cut it in half. Cutting a slot in it (cut it half way through) would work just as well and make it easier to set up in the vice.

I like that, will not keep dropping the nut halves.

Gold Digger 02-03-2023 11:32 AM

Never done a new shaft but have fixed some loose ones. I didn't peen any of them but silver soldered them up.

redmodelt 02-03-2023 11:34 AM

I would use the one with the arm already on for a driver, but if you need to keep the correct arm for judging, just replacing the shaft would be the way to go. The carbs I have rebuilt were not for show cars, so was not an issue.
If the hole in the carb body is worn but not too bad, pretty sure you can get the assembly with oversized shaft or re-bush the hole as needed if you can.

LEM 02-03-2023 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the suggestions I tried them, but I found that just using wood blocks in my voice and placing the butterfly into the slot so the slot wouldn’t collapse with clamping pressure.

katy 02-03-2023 08:33 PM

FWI, thin walled brass tubing to use for sleeving the carburetor body can be found at most hobby shops.

Brentwood Bob 02-03-2023 08:41 PM

I like the wood block idea. Simple. Guess you could drop the shaft farther down to give maximum support to the shaft.

Synchro909 02-03-2023 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEM (Post 2201720)
Thanks for all the suggestions I tried them, but I found that just using wood blocks in my voice and placing the butterfly into the slot so the slot wouldn’t collapse with clamping pressure.

Good job. I love that feeling of achievement I get when I finally get a job done, especially when it isn't straight forward. I bet you are feeling that now.

mcgarrett 02-03-2023 08:47 PM

LEM,
You do our hobby proud! Well done.

Gary WA 02-03-2023 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEM (Post 2201239)
How do you attach the throttle arm to a new replacement throttle shaft? Looks like they’re peened over but how do you do it without destroying the shaft?

if need a replacement I have many parts for carbs, Just across the water from you! Let me know. Gary.

LEM 02-03-2023 09:18 PM

I did have the shaft down further in the voice while I was peening, but I raised it up just for the picture. And yes I do feel good that I came out not too bad. Thanks again for everyone’s input.