The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   42 pickup brakes issue, difficult bleeding (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311210)

32forddump 03-19-2022 09:12 AM

42 pickup brakes issue, difficult bleeding

I have a 42 pickup that i have restored the brake system. All new parts and attempting to bleed the system. I managed to get full fluid to 3 out of 4 wheels and then it returned to air. I have no leaks and wondering where the air is coming from. Thanks

supereal 03-19-2022 01:42 PM

Re: 42 pickup brakes issue, difficult bleeding

Bleeding early Ford brake systems is usually a challenge. The location of the master cylinder in relation to the wheel cylinders is the cause. Using the "pump and hold" method can waste a lot of fluid. If you can get the vehicle to a brake shop with a power bleeder, that is a good idea. There are some DIY bleeders available as well. At our shop, our old bleeder uses a tank with a bladder that is powered with compressed air, making the job easy.

Kube 03-19-2022 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supereal (Post 2114254)
Bleeding early Ford brake systems is usually a challenge. The location of the master cylinder in relation to the wheel cylinders is the cause. Using the "pump and hold" method can waste a lot of fluid. If you can get the vehicle to a brake shop with a power bleeder, that is a good idea. There are some DIY bleeders available as well. At our shop, our old bleeder uses a tank with a bladder that is powered with compressed air, making the job easy.

Super, Like you, I use a power bleeder on all brake jobs, modern or vintage vehicles.
Years ago, I'd made an adapter for the power bleeder to accommodate the Ford master. One of those little things that I look back on and wonder how I'd managed without it for so many years.

1948F-1Pickup 03-19-2022 04:03 PM

I've got Speed Bleeders at all 4 corners of my truck. Takes under 10 minutes to bleed brakes. I think all the Ford wheel cylinders were 3/8-24 on the bleed fittings, so that would be the size.

tubman 03-19-2022 04:07 PM

I, too, am sold on "Speed-Bleeders". Life has been better since I found them.

Anteek29 03-19-2022 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 2114300)
I, too, am sold on "Speed-Bleeders". Life has been better since I found them.

Recommendation for a good source for them :confused:

32forddump 03-19-2022 09:28 PM

I just purchased a vacuum bleeder. Hopefully this will solve my problem Thanks

Mart 03-20-2022 04:40 AM

I have used a vacuum bleeder with good success. If you use too high a "suck" it will draw air in past the bleed nipple threads and possibly the wheel cylinder seals. Low vac and slow gets the job done.