The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Craftsman torque wrench, great deal at Lowe's (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306360)

glennpm 11-11-2021 04:44 PM

Craftsman torque wrench, great deal at Lowe's

CRAFTSMAN 1/2-in Drive Click Torque Wrench (50-ft lb to 250-ft lb)
$49.98 at Lowe's

Great deal for torquing those axle nuts!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-1...-lb/1000772366

Glenn

Dave/Green Bay 11-11-2021 05:07 PM

Re: Craftsman torque wrench, great deal at Lowe's

Thanks Glenn: Just got one on order. My old one is a 1968 Craftsman

glennpm 11-11-2021 05:08 PM

Good! Yes I have another Craftsman about the same vintage as yours but only goes to 150 LB-FT I think.

JayChicago 11-12-2021 05:10 PM

Got one! My local Lowes has about a dozen in stock, part of their Holiday gifts on-sale display.
Good price. Thanks for posting.

glennpm 11-12-2021 06:01 PM

Great, looks like a quality tool.

mhsprecher 11-12-2021 06:06 PM

I was in Lowe's yesterday to get something else, but I bought a 250 ft. lb. torque wrench on line a few weeks ago. That's the way it works sometimes.

Rodrelic 11-12-2021 07:44 PM

Ah, mine went with a box of crap tools at the flea market. Cost around $100 about 25 years ago, ratchet stripped after a few uses would not replace or provide a kit. Junk so went back to the antique beam. Never another craftsman tool

Holeshot 11-12-2021 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodrelic (Post 2075708)
Ah, mine went with a box of crap tools at the flea market. Cost around $100 about 25 years ago, ratchet stripped after a few uses would not replace or provide a kit. Junk so went back to the antique beam. Never another craftsman tool

X2 Had a bad experience with them too in the States. There QC really went down the drain the last few years. I wouldn't dare trust something as important as a torque wrench to them. To each there own of course, but no more crapsman for me.

tubman 11-12-2021 11:19 PM

I have had a bad experience with Craftsman "Clicker" torque wrenches as well. My problem was with the collar that goes around the wrench that you use to set the torque. On mine, it was a cheap piece of plastic, and broke almost immediately. When Sears wouldn't replace it under warranty, I wrapped a couple of layers of electrical tape around it, which seems to work.

However, I haven't had a lot of confidence in the readings I have gotten on it since.

lonewolf 11-13-2021 04:44 PM

I almost bought one until I seen that it's not made in the good old USA.

wga 11-13-2021 08:01 PM

Think that old USA made Snap On is accurate? Or an old Craftsman? Why take a chance, send in your torque wrench for testing and calibrating.

I sent in my 1/2" Craftsman and 3/8 Snap On. The actual torque vs set point will get your interest.

These guys have quick turnaround and easy to work with, price was reasonable too. https://www.teamtorque.com/torque-wrenches

51504bat 11-13-2021 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonewolf (Post 2075962)

Are you sure that a Snap On one is USA made? Contrary to what some will tell you, Snap On does make some of its tool line in off shore factories (China?) Not sure about torque wrenches.

51504bat 11-13-2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonewolf (Post 2075962)

Contrary to what some will tell you, Snap On does make some of its tool line in off shore factories including China. But according to the Snap On web site torque wrenches are still USA made.

STEVE O 11-14-2021 09:03 AM

My older Snap On ratchet head went bad. They replaced the internals but it didn't fix it. So bottom line buy a new torque wrench as they WILL NOT warranty it as that ratchet head is no long made. Believe me I have and several friends have tried multiple snap on retailers all the same story. I understand if the clicker side wore out but this is the ratchet head side. No more Snap On for me.
Steve

19Fordy 11-14-2021 11:57 AM

It's a sad commentary on our future when we find that more and more and MORE
products sold in America are NOT made in America. Our Greatest Generation must be weeping at what is happening.

lonewolf 11-15-2021 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEVE O (Post 2076140)
My older Snap On ratchet head went bad. They replaced the internals but it didn't fix it. So bottom line buy a new torque wrench as they WILL NOT warranty it as that ratchet head is no long made. Believe me I have and several friends have tried multiple snap on retailers all the same story. I understand if the clicker side wore out but this is the ratchet head side. No more Snap On for me.
Steve

Snap on torque wrenches do not have a lifetime warranty

STEVE O 11-15-2021 04:58 AM

Lonewolf,
Back when I bought it I was told the torque wrench side was not lifetime warranty but the ratchet head was. Well whether the Snap on dealer lied at that time about the ratchet head or not no more of them for me.
Steve

19Fordy 11-15-2021 10:11 AM

I have found Home Depot HUSKY torque wrench (0-250 ft. lbs.) to be a very good tool.
Lifetime guarantee. Free replacement with no questions and no receipt required. Watch the video.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-50...DTWA/205914009

Lifetime guarantee. Free replacement with no receipt required.

corvette8n 11-15-2021 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Can I use one of these to check my torque wrenches accuracy? I have a 3/8 and 1/2 drive clicker type wrenches? One came from Harbor Freight and the other is a no name Amazon wrench.