The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vacuum Gauge Question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303215)

flatford8 08-31-2021 08:02 PM

Vacuum Gauge Question

I was digging thru boxes of stuff I’ve collected and found two vacuum gauges, but neither one is zeroed out. If they don’t start at zero they’re junk, right?......
Thanks, Mark

Phil Gillespie 08-31-2021 09:44 PM

Re: Vacuum Gauge Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatford8 (Post 2051788)
I was digging thru boxes of stuff I’ve collected and found two vacuum gauges, but neither one is zeroed out. If they don’t start at zero they’re junk, right?......
Thanks, Mark

If they are just a straight vacuum gauge they should be at zero yes.
Easier to get a replacement one unless these are of special significance.
Vacuum gauges are a useful gauge to have fitted to a flathead .
Phil NZ

fordwife 08-31-2021 10:11 PM

Sometimes you can take the lens off and take a real small needle nose pliers and tweak the needle, turn it on the shaft slightly, to bring it back to zero.

Tinker 08-31-2021 10:18 PM

Guess you could start at where it is and do the math. It's like torque wrenches, you sure is really down to within 1lb.

flatford8 09-01-2021 05:25 AM

Thanks guys!! These aren’t special, just stuff I’ve collected and I’m trying lighten the load…… Mark

Terry,OH 09-01-2021 06:57 AM

The old gauges like KRW have a center adjustment on the pointer to re-calibrate Zero.

AnthonyG 09-01-2021 08:09 AM

As with all measuring tools mechanical & electrical age & use renders them inaccurate. Some are designed for recalibration some not. Most if not all can be checked against a standard to insure calibration is correct. In the case of a Vac gauge which can be used for so many engine diagnostics you want accuracy! If they’re not designed to be calibrated & checked or as in your case the needle doesn’t register zero, then smart to throw in the pile to go.

marko39 09-01-2021 08:51 AM

You could check them both to see if they read the same after doing the math. If not, junk em, if they do they are probably ok.

scicala 09-02-2021 09:36 AM

They are not junk when they don't retrun to zero. They're still good for adjusting idle mixture, setting timing, and engine diagnostics. You just have to know the actual vacuum is slightly lower than indicated.

Sal

Frank Miller 09-03-2021 06:36 AM

While the numbers do mean something the needle action tells most of the story. If you use it to adjust timing just keep moving the distributor until you get the highest vacuum reading. You'll see it climb then drop. Same with setting the idle mixture. A fluttering needle means a bad valve.

Crankster 09-03-2021 07:00 PM

Are these dash gauges or the large face mechanic gauges? Just curious. These are so simple it's hard to imagine anything going wrong with them, or put another way how do they get damaged like that? Maybe they were dropped? I'd be inclined to mechanically zero the pointer and then see what it displays with a known vacuum applied - maybe a MityVac has some utility, or simply see how it compares to a known good gauge.

V8COOPMAN 09-03-2021 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinker (Post 2051834)
Guess you could start at where it is and do the math. It's like torque wrenches, you sure is really down to within 1lb.

Vacuum gauges don't measure in "lbs." They're normally calibrated to measure in "inHg" (inches of mercury). DD

Tinker 09-03-2021 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 2052901)
Vacuum gauges don't measure in "lbs." They're normally calibrated to measure in "inHg" (inches if mercury). DD

Thanks Coop. Yes Apples to oranges, vacuum to torque. It is a unit of measure and relative to calibration. If it is off then it is off. Picked up some nice new water temp gauges, they are off by 20 degrees and the other by 40.