The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Voltage regulator (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296038)

Larryejoh 03-18-2021 08:02 PM

Voltage regulator

Is anyone producing voltage regulators any more? It looks like Fun Projects are out of business and I haven’t seen any recent posts from Tom Wessenberg.

Kelly mt 03-18-2021 09:22 PM

Re: Voltage regulator

Check with Texas T/ Birdhaven I think they bought Fun Projects line. I'd heard there were production delays. Maybe call, nice folks.

alexiskai 03-18-2021 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larryejoh (Post 1997782)
Is anyone producing voltage regulators any more? It looks like Fun Projects are out of business and I haven’t seen any recent posts from Tom Wesenberg.

Tom's had internet issues recently, but he is alive and well and still doing generator-related work. Send him an email via the board and he should get back to you eventually.

CWPASADENA 03-18-2021 09:48 PM

I hope Tom is still doing voltage regulators. I have them on 2 of my Model A's and I really like how they work.

Chris W.

Larryejoh 03-19-2021 01:24 AM

I have Tom’s email from the past. I’ll send him an email.

Ray64 03-19-2021 06:30 AM

I have e. mails and p .m.s out to Tom for about 3months and no answers to any of them yet

jrelliott 03-19-2021 10:21 AM

Anyone making a 12V regulator like Tom is producing for 6V? Want one that controls the field current other than regulating the 12V 8A output that the Fun Projects regulator does. Have looked at building one myself, but the components are large compared to the one Tom uses for 6V regulator.

Badpuppy 03-19-2021 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrelliott (Post 1997961)
Anyone making a 12V regulator like Tom is producing for 6V? Want one that controls the field current other than regulating the 12V 8A output that the Fun Projects regulator does. Have looked at building one myself, but the components are large compared to the one Tom uses for 6V regulator.

From the pics I've seen Tom uses a couple surface mount chips, which are much smaller. Difficult to solder with a blowtorch though.

ALJ 08-22-2021 11:18 PM

Has anyone used a tractor voltage regulator on a Model A? If so, what kind and how is it working for you?

Badpuppy 08-23-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALJ (Post 2048806)
Has anyone used a tractor voltage regulator on a Model A? If so, what kind and how is it working for you?

A three-relay regulator requires an external field post terminal to connect to. The Model A field wire connects to the third brush. Either drill the case and run the field connection outside or replace the generator with a 2-brush one.

Tom Wesenberg 08-23-2021 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray64 (Post 1997903)
I have e. mails and p .m.s out to Tom for about 3months and no answers to any of them yet

Ray, I haven't seen any emails or PM from you recently. I'm busy saving what I can from the fire before the city makes me clear the property. I only have computer access when I sleep at my neighbor's house near the burned house. Otherwise I'm loading or hauling anything I can salvage.

Once I am out of here and up north for good I'll have to figure out my new internet service. Only get 4 TV channels up north, so I have to do something about that also.

katy 08-24-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 2049100)
Only get 4 TV channels up north, so I have to do something about that also.

It would be nice if that was all I get, instead of the hundreds that I have to look through to find something worth watching.:):)

rotorwrench 08-24-2021 10:50 AM

The chip component for the Fun Projects VR is not currently available plus the original design Texas Instruments chip is obsolete now. I haven't seen any other VRs of any type available at this time.

Larryejoh 08-24-2021 11:45 AM

I drug my feet ordering one from Tom when I had a chance.

OLDMANKOHOUT 08-24-2021 05:53 PM

Sacramento Vintage has the diode style.

Designed for full 20 amp continuous service. Will work on stock 6-vold positive ground system only.

#00644-7

https://www.vintageford.com/global_s...0644&Category=

OLDMANKOHOUT 08-24-2021 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
image attached

Badpuppy 08-25-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDMANKOHOUT (Post 2049344)
Sacramento Vintage has the diode style.

Designed for full 20 amp continuous service. Will work on stock 6-vold positive ground system only.

That's a diode cutout, not a regulator. Blocks battery discharge through generator, doesn't limit generator output.

Jazzmonger 10-07-2023 09:55 PM

I will have the positive ground Model A version of my regulator done soon...I just have to flip the Model T circuit upside down and order new circuit boards. These will be Bolt-on replacements for the existing cutout.

Jeff

Fullraceflathead 10-08-2023 11:58 AM

Sounds great!!!

Jazzmonger 02-15-2024 02:37 AM

Positive ground version of my 6 & 12v voltage regulators are working as of today! I'm just waiting for 1000 cutout tops to be delivered so I can finish them. These are the samples I just got:

https://i0.wp.com/modeltstarters.com...00%2C386&ssl=1

I should have them by early March. At this point I'm completely sold out of voltage regulators with refurbished cutout tops. If you want one now, you have to send me a cutout top first. The whole "send me your core after the sale" thing didn't work out too well.....

Once I get the 1000 cutout tops delivered, I will then have all of the following products for sale:

6v neg ground voltage regulator - Model T
6v positive ground voltage regulator - model A
12v neg ground voltage regulator - Model T
12v positive ground voltage regulator - model A
Negative ground high current (30A) diode cutout (6v & 12v) - Model T
Positive ground high current (30A) diode cutout (6v & 12v) -model A