The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   External oil filter - question on oil lines (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293567)

Burt Lake Barn 01-26-2021 03:35 PM

External oil filter - question on oil lines

I have mounted my external oil filter on the firewall and will need to buy flexible oil lines with the correct connection ends. I know that Ford used different types of threads etc. and so I’m asking for some advice. Don’t want to get the wrong parts. I do have the restrictor fitting already. Also, I have not seen anyplace that offers the flexible lines pre made for the flathead so if anyone knows of a good source, I’d appreciate hearing. My flathead is a 1949 8BA.

19Fordy 01-26-2021 03:45 PM

Re: External oil filter - question on oil lines

5 Attachment(s)
Burt, buy some 1/4 dia. steel fuel line and make your own using a hand bender. That what I did when I remounted my 8BA filter. I made little hollow metal couplers out of drilled bolt shanks and soldered them in place where needed on the lines. You hardly notice the lines. Looks better than bulky hoses. Give it a try and save $$$.

34PKUP 01-26-2021 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1978230)
Burt, buy some 1/4 dia. steel fuel line and make your own using a hand bender. That what I did when I remounted my 8BA filter. I made little hollow metal couplers out of drilled bolt shanks and soldered them in place where needed on the lines. You hardly notice the lines. Looks better than bulky hoses. Give it a try and save $$$.

You are using 1/4" steel lines to mount the filter to the "firewall"?
Is that normal for "firewall" mounting ?

Aarongriffey 01-26-2021 04:49 PM

I just did a ‘46.
Although I mounted the oil filter on the head I used store bough brake tubing, they fit everything including the restriction.
Burt mounted the oil filter on the firewall so he needs flexible lines.

51 MERC-CT 01-26-2021 05:09 PM

Your engine uses a 1/4 NPT and a 1/8 NPT for output and oil return.
You have to determine what is used on whatever oil filter you have.

19Fordy 01-26-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34PKUP (Post 1978240)
You are using 1/4" steel lines to mount the filter to the "firewall"?
Is that normal for "firewall" mounting ?

No, I used the 1/4 inch lines to route the oil lines the same as the stock set up using the stock oil filter mounted on the stock 8BA block. I recall now that I did use 1/4 inch brake line, not fuel line. I am assuming the original post was referring to mounting the stock filter on the firewall and then running the lines the same way the OEM lines were routed. If he was referring to using a remote 95% filter set up, I don't know if the 1/4 inch lines would work as well as the larger ID hose.

cas3 01-26-2021 05:36 PM

any place that makes up hydraulic hoses will make what ever you want. i have used aero quip, thats a brand name, its black cloth covered stuff used on big semi trucks for air and oil lines. has an old time look to it, and strong as hell. you just need to know what fittings you need, and the length

Burt Lake Barn 01-26-2021 06:10 PM

Sorry for any confusion. I’m not mounting the original filter on the head, but rather on the firewall so I need to use a flexible line. I was hoping to get confirmation on the fittings and thread type. Thanks for the aeroquip hose reference. I’ll also assume that the post indicating “Your engine uses a 1/4 NPT and a 1/8 NPT for output and oil return” is what I need to go with. I’m using the same 1949 oil canister that was with the 1949 8BA before I rebuilt it.

cas3 01-26-2021 08:56 PM

yes, the lines at the rear of the block are 1/4" pipe (npt), and the fitting in the filter housing if original is most likely made to take a flared end like brake line. no adapter for that i am aware of, you would remove that and replace it with either a male or female to match what ever hose you get. that fitting is most likely the one with the re stricter orifice in it. if so, i would weld or braze the end of the new fitting shut and drill to .060, or 1/16". i cant speak for the return line to the motor as there are some variables there. doesnt an 8ba have a return port in the block, and not the pan like the earlier motor?

Burt Lake Barn 02-05-2021 12:06 PM

Yes, the 8BA (‘49) has its oil return port in the block down by the oil pan.

Rodrelic 02-07-2021 08:25 PM

Not very cutting edge, I used grease gun hose for firewall mount. Bolted to head spoiled looks IMO

RalphG 02-07-2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodrelic (Post 1982968)
Not very cutting edge, I used grease gun hose for firewall mount. Bolted to head spoiled looks IMO

It was not cheap but I got a hydraulic shop to make an oil line for my 52 Merc. Something over $70. Its surprising how fast the oil pumps out of an engine when one of those brittle old lines breaks.

Kube 02-07-2021 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphG (Post 1982969)
It was not cheap but I got a hydraulic shop to make an oil line for my 52 Merc. Something over $70. Its surprising how fast the oil pumps out of an engine when one of those brittle old lines breaks.

Okay, I'll let ya all in on a little secret... when I restore a '39 or '40 I always use concourse correct lines - NOS. What's not obvious is the fact that I solder up the supply line.
I think I'd cry if a line blew on one of my restorations. Nah, I don't think I'd cry, I know I would.