The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fog Light Switch Help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292893)

RB_Nielsen 01-12-2021 04:03 PM

Fog Light Switch Help

3 Attachment(s)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgxs0b47q2...witch.jpg?dl=0Looking for a schematic/info showing how to connect this old fog light switch that has 3 electrical posts and a fuse

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgxs0b47q2...witch.jpg?dl=0

5851a 01-12-2021 05:29 PM

Re: Fog Light Switch Help

Is it a 3 position switch, like off one and 2. Just as a guess I would say power goes in on the terminal with the fuse and out on the other 2. Maybe a combination of fog on one position and backups on other. Should be easy to test with meter or test lamp bulb.

CarlG 01-12-2021 05:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a copy of the instruction sheet from Unity:

When wired up like the instructions show, the tail lights will come on anytime you have the fog lights turned on.

GRutter 01-12-2021 11:49 PM

I believe the switch itself was illuminated.
Hooked up to the tail-lights so that anytime the lights were on, the switch would illuminate. Might want to check to see if it has a bulb in it, and if it is 6 or 12v.

RB_Nielsen 01-13-2021 12:40 PM

Thank you all for your help, and thanks especially CarlG for the set of instructions that were exactly what I needed - perfect!

JohnB15632 01-13-2021 02:52 PM

May I ask, what is the purpose of the fog lights? Is this an accessory, or did Ford install them originally?

Thanks,

RB_Nielsen 01-13-2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnB15632 (Post 1973713)
May I ask, what is the purpose of the fog lights? Is this an accessory, or did Ford install them originally?

Thanks,

You've ask a good question. I use a pair of 5" accessory fog lights mounted on the front bumper as both daylight driving lights AND for turn signal lights. I suspect they are not considered officially sanctioned in terms of judging but my rationale is they provide unmistakable notice to oncoming traffic of my Model A being in traffic and when necessary signal my intention of making a turn

Y-Blockhead 01-13-2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RB_Nielsen (Post 1973778)
You've ask a good question. I use a pair of 5" accessory fog lights mounted on the front bumper as both daylight driving lights AND for turn signal lights. I suspect they are not considered officially sanctioned in terms of judging but my rationale is they provide unmistakable notice to oncoming traffic of my Model A being in traffic and when necessary signal my intention of making a turn

Not to mention they look Bitchin'. :cool::cool:

RB, never thought of using them for driving lights. With 30w bulbs X 2 they really pull the amps. I will try that out next time I'm out.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6587c9f45d.jpg

CarlG 01-14-2021 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1973795)
Not to mention they look Bitchin'. :cool::cool:

RB, never thought of using them for driving lights. With 30w bulbs X 2 they really pull the amps. I will try that out next time I'm out.

Check out my pictures in post #3. I converted the Unity Fog Lights from Sealed Beam to LED, thus eliminating the huge current draw. I also intend on using them for driving lights. My turn signals are in the cowl lights (also LED).

Y-Blockhead 01-14-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1974090)
Check out my pictures in post #3. I converted the Unity Fog Lights from Sealed Beam to LED, thus eliminating the huge current draw. I also intend on using them for driving lights. My turn signals are in the cowl lights (also LED).

Nice!! I will have to look into that. What did you use for lenses?

CarlG 01-14-2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1974188)
Nice!! I will have to look into that. What did you use for lenses?

I bought these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/GS-Powers-Chr...s%2C257&sr=8-4

RB_Nielsen 01-25-2021 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1974271)

CarlG - Great Amazon idea/find I'm definitely going to check them out. I've had to replace one fog light bulb already, and talk about needing to delve into off-brand/screwy misbegotten hardware. Going to LED will be a godsend

Y-Blockhead 01-26-2021 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1974271)

I will check those out. I prefer the look of the amber lenses tho when the lights are off instead of the clear lense.

CarlG 01-26-2021 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1978097)
I will check those out. I prefer the look of the amber lenses tho when the lights are off instead of the clear lense.

I had a couple of thoughts there: 1) I wanted to approximate the same look as the headlights and cowl lights, hence the clear lenses. By using amber LEDs they turn color when on, as do the turn signals in the cowl lights. 2) to further the same look as the stock headlights & cowl lights, these have a flat front rather than the round look of the original sealed beam.

Each to his own!

Y-Blockhead 01-26-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1978192)
I had a couple of thoughts there: 1) I wanted to approximate the same look as the headlights and cowl lights, hence the clear lenses. By using amber LEDs they turn color when on, as do the turn signals in the cowl lights. 2) to further the same look as the stock headlights & cowl lights, these have a flat front rather than the round look of the original sealed beam.

Each to his own!

Carl, Yes, it's all good. Looking at Amazon, I'm not sure the LED you linked too will fit my fog lights. I am using a couple of buckets for 5" Unity Spotlights so the shape matches my spot light and Looks more "vintage", IMO.

They take a 5" PAR 36 bulb which is smaller that the 5.75" that Amazon says your lights are?? Do you have 6" Fog lights?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...ee297c12_w.jpg

CarlG 01-26-2021 03:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What I have is are the Unity Fog Lights. They take the same bulb that the '70s 4-light headlight system used, which is 5.75" (GE part # 24460 / 4412A). They are often referred to as 5" lights, even though they are actually 5.75". Pictured below are my lights installed. I can see from your picture that they have a slightly different profile, so maybe the glass replacement fixture I bought won't fit yours.

On a side note, make sure that when you fix the location for your lights that you can still get your tool box open. I had to re-position mine when I discovered that.

Y-Blockhead 01-26-2021 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ah, I see the 'light'. You have the larger ones, what Unity refers to as F-1 (or similar) series 6". I have the smaller H-1 Series 5".

The replacement fixture is definitely a no go.

Bob-A 01-26-2021 07:28 PM

Just for the "purists" the yellow lens fog lights did not come out until 1936.:eek:

Bob-A:D

Y-Blockhead 01-26-2021 09:11 PM

Not sure they had sealed beams bulbs until 1940 or so either... :rolleyes::rolleyes: That is what makes CarlG's solution nice. But they won't fit my fog lights

Bob-A 01-27-2021 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1978322)
Not sure they had sealed beams bulbs until 1940 or so either... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

1940 was the first year for seal beams, however they were called "Glaseal"
bulbs at first.:cool:

Bob-A:D